• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A pic of a nice WLH and a Morgan

9 posts in this topic

I like the Morgan with the die clashes best. thumbsup2.gif

Chris

Sorry, I had to leave to check my records. This particular die clash is one of the easiest to spot. Whenever I see it, I make a thorough inspection of the coin. So far, I have found these dates with a similar die clash: '82, '83-O, '84-O(2), '87(2), '88, '91-CC (Thanks, Hayden!), & '98.

Of these, the three that are the neatest are the '83-O, one of the '87's and the '88. What makes them different from the others is because the die clash is doubled.

Chris

A lot of people will not like your Walker. They will say it is "too much" toning and maybe leading into a chemical surface problem on the coin. But----your coin is "unique". You will never see another quite like it. And it has it"s "original skin". In my way of looking at my Walkers, it has its own personality. From an old Walker guy----would rather have it this way than brightly dipped. Nice coin! Bob [supertooth]

I like them. cool.gif The walker is pretty to me and would make a fabulous album piece. The Morgan is remarkably mark-free. thumbsup2.gif

Hoot

Chris

Sorry, I had to leave to check my records. This particular die clash is one of the easiest to spot. Whenever I see it, I make a thorough inspection of the coin. So far, I have found these dates with a similar die clash: '82, '83-O, '84-O(2), '87(2), '88, '91-CC (Thanks, Hayden!), & '98.

Of these, the three that are the neatest are the '83-O, one of the '87's and the '88. What makes them different from the others is because the die clash is doubled.

Chris

Pardon my ignorance. I know what a die clash looks like, but I don't see it on this 1887 posted. Could you point it out to me?

Thank you,

Jonathan

Please tell someone with an untrained eye where you see the die clash. I looked and looked and can't see it.

On the reverse between the ealge's wing and the wreath (viewer's right) you will see a slight "V-shaped" mark that is raised and looks like it is on its side. This is the result of a clash with the obverse die at the lower, right area of the bonnet (Note the "V-shape"). Further evidence of the clash can be seen on the obverse. Note the "spike" that juts out to the southwest where the jaw and neck meet. This "spike" corresponds to the area where the field meets the upper edge of the eagle's wing on the reverse.

Chris

((( I know what a die clash looks like, but I don't see it on this 1887 posted. Could you point it out to me? )))

junk.jpg

James

I don't think I can reach that far, James, but the arrow pointing NW is correct. That is the "V-shaped" area where the lower, right portion of the bonnet meets the field. I don't know what the other mark is, but it doesn't seem likely that it would be a clash since that would be a deeply-recessed area of the die.

Chris

P.S. I should point out that the obverse photo has a slight shadow at the vertex of the "V" and it is actually squared-off just a little like shown in the clash.