• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A registry set I would love to see....

13 posts in this topic

US Coins by Major Type 1793-1950, including gold. Set would combine the gold and non-gold type sets and would include one coin per major design type. In other words - one Seated Half, one Bust Dollar, one SLQ, etc. Set also excludes moderns which some of us don't really collect.

I know it likely won't happen so I may just have to design a Signature Set within these parameters.

Thinking out loud...

GP

There is a USA Type set which has everthing but gold. Additionally, there are (3) business strike gold type sets. This pretty well covers the ground, even though they are not together in one super set.

I don't think most collectors could afford to put together pre-1836 sets of both USA type and gold. I know that could not, even when I had a major investment in type and gold coins. Most collectors are forced by economic realities to realistically choose sets.

Yes, I'm aware of the canned sets available. I currently have the #10 US Type Set. This new approach I am talking about is more limited in scope. If you want to see what I mean, I am currently experimenting with this in the Signature Set area. I'd love to get some feedback on what I've done so far. Thanks!

I agree gpnyc, and I have been working on a signature set of basic types, it had 60 slots total, but then ran into some technical problems when the server went down. Soon I will have in put together in the system, though completing it is another story!

How does your set compare to the one I've started assembling? Do you have any types that I am missing? Since you have 6 less slots, what do I have that you don't? Since this is a work-in-progress, I'd like to get any feedback I can.

Here's where I am getting a little stuck...

Some varieties are easy to exclude, like motto/no motto. Yet I find it hard to exclude the 1796 quarter for instance. Its the only quarter with a small eagle reverse. How can that be left out of a set of "Major Designs?" But then again, if you include that, where does it end?

The 1796/97 Half Dollars I have less trouble excluding since they are basically a mule of the Flowing Hair and Heraldic Eagle Designs.

I'm inclined to leave it where I have it at 66 coins but I want the set to pass some logical tests. Maybe we can make a combined effort to come up with a "standard" for this approach. You can then just copy my signature set shell and go from there, saving you some time.

Well, I think the difference with yours and mine are the different perspectives. As mainly a gold collector, I included the three Liberty Double eagle types, as well as the motto/no motto on Saint-Gaudens' designs for the eagle and double eagle. But I just left the hole for bust quarter as just that. Here is what I have so far, keeping in mind that I still need to add the remaining 19 slots that were deleted with the system problems. Basic Type Set Certainly if we can come up with a template I would be very happy to use it! Plus its so easy to delete slots that you have no intention of ever purchasing! shy.gif

J---- I did a little more work on the set. I think its a good starting point although it doesn't have all the gold slots you require. I had to be a little creative to break it up so it wasn't one long list. I think its not so hard on the eyes now. What do you think so far?

http://www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/ViewPersonalCollection.aspx?UserCollectionID=146

I like your set a lot. I still think that you have more varieties than may be needed on the earlier coins, but that's merely a matter of preference. Also, I like the divisions you made, how did you do that?

Thanks for the compliments. Means alot coming from a fellow Coinpeople poster.

I had to cheat to make the divisions. All I did was enter extra coin slots but I didn't attach any coins to them. I'm hoping NGC will see this and come up with a better way to add headers and sub-headers in Signature Sets. IMO, large sets can be hard on the eyes if you don't find a way to break them up visually.

• Administrator
Thanks for the compliments. Means alot coming from a fellow Coinpeople poster.

I had to cheat to make the divisions. All I did was enter extra coin slots but I didn't attach any coins to them. I'm hoping NGC will see this and come up with a better way to add headers and sub-headers in Signature Sets. IMO, large sets can be hard on the eyes if you don't find a way to break them up visually.

Very nice set! We will think about how we can incorporate the ability to create sub-headers within a set.

I love Signature Sets. The possibilities are endless and each day I am surprised by the creativity in terms of the actual sets and the use of the functionality.

I certainly did not intend to be negative about your set. I had (like Jeff) a differing perspective on what you were attempting to do because I was thinking about many more gold varieties and the other various sub-varieties (i.e. 3 Standing Lib. Quarter types). In that form it would be a very large and expensive set.

I just finished a Signature Set with the (8) major Seated Dime varieties and Jerry Fortin came along with the (100) top varieties of Seated Dimes. I guess it is all about goals and personal expression of them in Signature Sets.

I certainly did not intend to be negative about your set. I had (like Jeff) a differing perspective on what you were attempting to do because I was thinking about many more gold varieties and the other various sub-varieties (i.e. 3 Standing Lib. Quarter types). In that form it would be a very large and expensive set.

I just finished a Signature Set with the (8) major Seated Dime varieties and Jerry Fortin came along with the (100) top varieties of Seated Dimes. I guess it is all about goals and personal expression of them in Signature Sets.

I didn't see any negativity in your post whatsoever. I'm looking for any and all feedback, good or bad, that I can get. I don't think I'm all the way there with this set but its getting close. Some specific things I'd like to get an opinion on...........

1) The Small Eagle gold Bust coins: I think they are required because the reverse does not appear on any other design.

2) The Small Eagle H10C, Half Dollar and Dollar: I am leaving them out b/c the Small Eagle reverse appears on the Flowing Hair design. I am including the Small Eagle Dime and Quarter b/c there is no Flowing Hair deisgn for these denominations.

3) The Gobrecht Dollar. A perennial controversy - pattern or regular issue? I've left it out.

4) Flowing Hair Large Cents - Chain and Wreath. I have them both but do I need them both?

5) Liberty Cap Half Cents - Have both head left and head right. Need them both?

Thanks in advance.

Very nice set! We will think about how we can incorporate the ability to create sub-headers within a set.

I love Signature Sets. The possibilities are endless and each day I am surprised by the creativity in terms of the actual sets and the use of the functionality.

Thanks! This is why I love NGC. You guys are so responsive to the collector.