• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question on Early Half Dollar Sets

5 posts in this topic

I just set up an early half dollar set (1794-1839) and the system would not allow me to add my 1827 half dollar (cert number 1660328-008). I am guessing it's because my coin is not labled with either square or curl base. What can be done about this? Is there any set in the works for just one per date early halves? Thanks!

Tom, I don't remember the name of it, but here is a link: Bust Halves Set. It's pretty pathetic, but it's an area that interests me, so I devote time to it when I can. I still need to add descriptions for the coins, but I finally got the photos up this weekend. I've been averaging adding 1 coin per year to this set, so it might be a long time before it's comparable to those advanced collectors like you!

Those are pretty cool names to your sets! Are they the names of defunct train lines?

I looked at your images and the 1807 you have actually has a better strike than average for this issue as many of them are mushy in the center of the obverse; the 1810 is also struck quite well and you can see this in the detail on the eagle's right wing, which is often missing; the 1827 is funny in that I have seen more nicely toned CBHs from this year than from any other; and the 1830 has a terrific reverse.

I probably average a little more than one or two coins per year myself. smile.gif

Thanks for the kind words Tom, and yes, all of my sets are named after "named" passenger trains from the golden age of railroading (trains are one of my other passions). I just decided to do it on a whim, but it always makes me think of the golden age of these coins when I name them after a train. Of course that was back in the days when traveling was a real event, where people dressed up to get on the train, and the name of the train really meant something. Trains like the 20th Century Limited, the Broadway Limited, the Super Chief, all meant something back then. Certainly a different age than "train 129" or "flight 459".

As for my halves, I decided a couple years ago that more colorful toning was quite beautiful on capped busts, and so that's what I tend to look for (and as you know they are not easy to find!). It also strikes me that the 1827 was the only one I bought certified, all the others were purchased raw, so either I have a better eye than I think, or I have some really good dumb luck! And the 1830 is one of my new favorite coins since I bought it last spring.