• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can I conserve a coin a have it graded by PCGS or NGC afterwords?

3 posts in this topic

I have a Liberty Nickel that has a lot of residue on it, but you can see a lot of detail underneath. I've been debated whether or not to have it conserved. If I do, can I submit it to PCGS without them returning it becaused it has been cleaned. I know that NCS will conserve it and then grade it if it is a problem-free coin (non-whizzed, non-polished, etc), but I would rather have a coin with a normal NGC or PCGS slab. Any thoughts/opinions? I think this is a problem-free coin, but I'm not the expert. I've attached a pix of the coin.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member

Your coin does appear to be a good candidate for conservation. Without seeing the piece, I would not be able to comment on exactly what conservation may be able to do for your coin as photographs can be deceiving.


It would also be difficult for me to comment on your coin's gradeability after the conservation work. If it is only a thick residue on your coin, then likely your coin could be graded by a major grading service such as NGC. If the residues are hiding other problems, such as environmental damage or improper cleaning, then your coin would not be able to grade with a major grading service. Without actually seeing your coin, I would not be able to give you a certain opinion as to its grading prospects.


Your best bet would be to submit your coin for conservation. Your piece will be evaluated and then conserved of its residues thereby both looking better and being more stable for long-term storage. If it is free of problems that can not be helped through conservation such as environmental damage or improper cleaning, then it can be transferred to NGC for grading or sent back to you raw if you wish to submit it yourself to a different third party grading service. If it is the unfortunate victim of an irreversible surface problem, then it can be authenticated and encapsulated with an NCS Details Grade holder.


For more information on submitting coins to NCS, contact NCS Customer Service at 866-627-2646 or NCShelp@NCScoin.com


Chris, NCS

Link to comment
Share on other sites