• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A public apology to Mr. John Maben of NGC

31 posts in this topic

Recently, I stated that Mr. Maben should feel silly for having posted anonymously, without knowing it (it seems that can happen if the system logs you out). I just learned that when I posted my comment, I had done the exact same thing - posted anonymously without being aware of it. So, I should feel equally silly.

Therefore, I want to apologize publicly to Mr. Maben for (annonymously) telling him he should feel silly. I meant for him and everyone on the board to KNOW it was I, Mark Feld who was saying he should feel silly! smile.gif

It's time for anonymous posting to be disabled. The purpose it serves is so small that it doens't even come close to outweighting the bad.

It seems like it is only used to make a statement that people don't have the guts to make under their own name (you now who you are) or it is done because people are too lazy to take 1 minute and create a username. Either way those people aren't needed here.

I have an idea...

Let's not disable the anonymous posting ability. Rather, let's disable the ability for users who aren't signed on to post.

That is, suppose someone really wanted to post something personal about 9/11 or homeless kids, I feel that the person should be able to do so publicly anonymously. But, they have to first be signed on so the admins can still monitor and track those who make disruptive posts anonymously.

What do you all think?

Also, Arch, Web, is this a good idea to you guys?

EVP

Not a bad idea. I do understand people not wanting to post under their name for some real reasons. However, those posts probably make up les than 1% of all anonymous posts. But, I still think that if you want to post something so important that you can take a few extra minutes and create another account.

Anonymous posting has been turned off.

I already don't like this. Getting a new handle also requires that I use a new email address. So, I used nobody@collectors-society.com.

This blows. What you'd end up with is a bogus or unused email address cluttering up your data when someone wants to post anonymously. And, I think Greg is correct in saying that legit anon posting is very infrequent. That means that on those rare occasions, the legit poster is going to have to remember his login and password even though he doesn't use it often enough. And, he can't lose that precious other email address.

Poor security, more bogus email addrs, etc., and it won't stop the malicious posters. It just gets in the way of the legit posters.

AnonEVP

PS Can you guess who I am? smile.gif

• Administrator

Well. We could always remove the ability to set your own password. Then the only way you can login is by using the password that you receive via email. Bad address = no password.

Then we can screen out free services, like hotmail, etc. So to get a new account you have to pay for an addy somewhere.

Really, any system is defeatable. The only thing you're really doing is raising the cost of bucking the system to some point at which most people will decide it's not worth it to try and circumvent it.

In the meantime, the change really wasn't about security. It was about convenience. It is frequent that people are posting accidentally as anon, and having to post again to clarify that it was them. It is infrequent that people are posting anonymously for legit reasons.

I also allowed anon posting at first to draw people in who perhaps didn't know how to register and might be initimidated or turned off by the process at first. But that's not happening much either.

Therefore, serve the greater good.

Arc

Perhaps there could be a way to send an email when a new account is created. The email could contain a link to activate the account. I've seen this done a lot. It allows you to create your own password, but you need a real email address in order for it to become active.

Greg- Kinda like the way PCGS does it now...

They send you a tempt password, you log on, for the first time and then change the password.

Their password is sent to a valid email (or you simply wouldn't get it).

They also have a system in place now that prevents the same computer- even with different emails- from receiving another "memebership" password.

The bastards. ;(

braddick, kind of.

More like you sign up and choose your own password. The system sends an email to you with a link and you click on that link. You never have to change your password. They don't send you a password. All they do is make sure that you provided a valid email address that is yours.

This is used frequently, especially for sites that give you a free trial membership.

It's based on IP address. Delete the cookies from both PCGS and CU and restart your browser. Dial up again and you are a new user. It works. I know. wink.gif

Of course, it doesn't hurt to be creative in usernames. And then there is the watch list. Those with known duplicates are probably watched a lot closer.

I think it'd be a lot of fun to spend a whole show with Laura (as well as you). She seems extremely knowledgeable. I'd love to just sit there and talk coins.

She's also very blunt. For some unknown reason, I like that style. smirk.gif

Oh, Greg, quit puckering up!

smile.gif

Yes, I agree Laura is quite knowledgeable. And, she likes my checks with the dogs as the background. Or, maybe it was the dollar amount written on the checks!

EVP