• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1921 Peace Dollar Search (Was "Has Anybody Dealt With These eBay Sellers?")

20 posts in this topic

All,

I was just wondering if anybody has done any dealings in the past with the following eBay sellers:

As you can probably guess I'm looking for a nice 1921 to start off my set. wink.gif

Thanks in advance,

Ray

For what these guys are asking for a non-certified MS-1921 Peace Dollar, you could possibly buy a MS63-1921, NGC/PCGS certified Peace Dollar. Take my word for it tongue.gif .

I've purchased from kappyscoins before. I agreed with the grading of MS66. However, it went from MS64 to MS65 to MS66 at the grading services.

Friendly people. Good return policy.

As always, be careful with buying raw coins.

Thanks for the feedback. I am scouring the reputable online dealers I've seen mentioned on these forums as well as the PCGS forums for slabbed 1921's for a price comparison to these raw coins. I'll post what I'm considering later today.

-Ray

" Coast Coin BU silver is almost always AU "

Agree with Hoot...and they frequently dip/clean....

But they do have great customer service and a liberal, well handled return policy if you don't like it...

" Coast Coin BU silver is almost always AU "

Agree with Hoot...and they frequently dip/clean....

But they do have great customer service and a liberal, well handled return policy if you don't like it...

So, it is ok to misrepresent a coin's grade if you do it nicely? I don't care how good their customer service is if they consistently misrepresent the grades of coins then I would not do business with them.

But hey, that is just my opinion.

Oh no...I agree with you...and to be fair to Coast to Coast, I have bought some things that were accurately graded...I just got burned on more expensive stuff, and I wasn't smart enough to catch it when I could still return it. I just mention the return policy in case anybody wants to take the shoot.

Geez, I suspected that the eBay seller coastcoin was Ken Pine, i.e., Coast To Coast coins. Sounds like you guys are confirming that and I'm heeding to your earlier advice about being leery of making a purchase from him especially since if he has a huge amount of BU Peace Dollar 21s for $169 something has got to be up. wink.gif

As promised here are some of the slabbed coins I'm considering:

Does anybody have any other dealers that they would recommend with a slabbed 1921 MS63? I know the David Lawrence coin is a MS64 but the price seems to be somewhat in line for a 64. I don't really want to build a set of 64s because the 1934-S would be pretty pricey at that grade. grin.gif I was originally planning on a 64 set but I've been in the process of buying a new house and it looks like my mortgage payment is going to eat into the $400/mo I was planning on putting into my coin collection.

Bloozeman -

IMHO, I think I'd pass on all three.

Old Coin Shop -

The photo is very blurry which makes it tough to see what the coin really looks like.

David Lawrence -

Best of the bunch (of course it is the only MS64) but the reverse looks better than the obverse. Both the neck and cheek appear to have a number of slight contact marks and there's a substantial mark on the bird's tailfeathers.

Heritage

A serious mark on Liberty's face hurts this coin greatly.

I can't speak for the specific dollars...I don't know squat about Peace dollars. I will give a shout out for Old Coin Shop. They're a little pricey but they're one of the really trusted dealers here in San Diego as far as accurate grading and service.

I will not buy any coin with a fuzzy picture. There are no excuses. It is just fuzzy because there is something that they do not want you to see. I do not care who the dealer is. They know better! tongue.gif

Thanks for the input guys! I think I'll definitely request a clear scan from the Old Coin Shop if I decide to pursue that coin. I also found this one on eBay 1921 PCGS MS64. It's currently sitting at the Red Book suggest price for a MS64 but there has only been 1 bid on it so it can only go up from there!

Wow, the MS-64 that Barry is selling has a great strike. You don't find this issue well struck, even in the higher, more expensive grades. If I didn't have one, I would jump on that piece.

That Ebay PCGS-64 as down right scratched on the reverse!

Just so I know what you are talking about since I'm a relatively newbie are you refering to what looks like a scratch going horizontally through the right wing?

Bloozeman