• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Other Than Color or Cameo- what Coins Qualify for the Star?

13 posts in this topic

Vivid color. "Lost" Cameos. I see these get the well deserved, and now nationally recognized NGC STAR. Are there other 'types' of coins that earn the Star?

Should there be?

I believe NGC had an ad in The Numismatist when they launched the * campaign and in the ad they showed a blast white, business strike Franklin.

pat,

you, evp and tomb summed it up well

strong cameos on the edge of ultra CAMEO or strong one sided cameos with tremendous eye appeal and also of course tremendous eye appeal white and toned coins will also get the star

that about sums it up!

sincerely michael

ALL good reasons to award the STAR. I know there are those who dislike the STAR, but don't count me among them. Maybe the "W" and "T" didn't work, but the " * " does.

I've yet to see a "bad" STAR coin.

I like it. They're definitely worth a premium to me.

I know there are those who dislike the STAR

Count me as one of those. It was hard enough to cherry pick super looking coins without having to pay a fotune. Now NGC is telling the dealers that these are great coins. The * designation is costing me too much money. smirk.gif

Actually, I have seen several pictures of coins that I thought were undeserving of the designation. However, pictures lie. I've yet to see a star coin in person that I thought wasn't nice. I'm not saying that I would have given them a star, but they were nice.

Now if NGC would just give me a couple of stars I'd be a lot happier. smile.gif I'm starting to think they don't like my coins. I've sent some awesome coins to them and no star. The only star I ever got was a one sided cameo and I knew it would get the star. I've got ~30 coins in right now and there are some that should get the star. They're stuck in Quality Control right now. I hate when they go into QC on Thursday since I know that I won't see any grades until Monday. frown.gif It's a giant tease.

braddick,

I agree with you. I like the idea of NGC awarding coins with outstanding eye appeal the star and I have never seen a star coin that was not outstanding for one reason or another. smile.gif

I also understand how Greg feels though. Dealers are charging a premium for star coins. I find it funny that if I see a star coin at a show that I might be interested in and ask the dealer how much they want for it the reply always starts the same way; ‘Oh that’s a star coin’... I have heard this so many times now that I will be surprised the first time I don't hear it! shocked.gif

John

This is the unfortunate aspect of the * system, that less attentive dealers now have something blaring in their face that tells them they might be able to jack the price on this particular piece.

I believe that John (Wihlborg) just posted an image of a blast white commem in a * holder. Is that correct? Was it the Vancouver issue?

if coins get a star and they are in my eyes monster superb eye appealling coins they deserve the prices they get

but coins like the above are truly few and far between

sincerely michael

i have had friends end in more than 15 truly the best eye appealling coins i have ever seen in walkers and proof buffs and indians in proof and they did not get the star also some really rare monster deep cameo coins monsters and they did not gewt the star soi can see to get the star the coin really has to be extra special

does that make some monster star coins that do not get the star not great?? not really but suc h is the subjective coin grading thing

at least you know you might have a star and others moght agrreee it is a star but maybe will not get it

oh well life is a journey not a guided tour sure thing

and at least if it says star on the holder you probsbly gots a great coin

and also even if no star you probably gots a greast coin also

sincerely michael

thast is waht the star is for for near miss cameos and ultra cameos that do not quite make it accourding to the service

which as always is a subjective thing but still a valued opinion none the less

something like your coin that is a cameo obverse and a near miss reverse so the services give it a star to say it is a great eye appealling coin and A NEAR MISS CAMEO

sincerely michael

now remember for many not yet submitted or alreasdy in holdeds that are near miss cameos or near miss ultra cameos you might have lots and lots and lots of star coins like your coin and that is okie just the way it is but will take years and years to access the star for coins such as yours

my friend has many early pre 1915 cameo coins that are near miss ultra cameos and others that are near miss cameos these would also most probably get the star if resubmitted

so the star is good for some coins and great for others yet monster great for others also it all depends on the coin itself and what the eye appeal is for

say for a monster toned monster technical perfect mintstare seated coin which gets a star and for me super rare and means lots os such

to say a coin that is a solid nice cameo one one side and a near miss on the other say the reverse and then is a modern coin the star is good but not the same as the seated coin

i guess with coins it is all a rather subjective thing and a matter of opinion and demand

for me coins after 1945 that get the star and really after 1965 that get the star with the modern minting process i guess the star is good but not as good as the seated example as per the above

sincerely michael

but all in all a star is for the most part a exceptional eye appealling coin

and of course with the modern coins some mondern series IF IN DEMAND super MOMNSTER POPULAR AND COULD BE ACTUALLY MORE POPULAR THEN THE SEATED COIN

SO

actually the modern could mean more wi;th a star???!!!!!!

as coins are only aboujt three things in this order

and nothing else

just these three things

1) DEMAND

2) DEMAND

3) DEMAND