• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Telemarketers! AAARRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

4 posts in this topic

I was flipping through the channels this afternoon, and I came across an ad by some outfit selling US gold eagle bullion coins. They were selling 5 1/10th ounce eagles in a plastic case for $48 each (minimum order 1 set of 5, maximum 2 sets). Well, the price struck me as fair since melt on them is about $44 and the premiums on the smaller coins is usually more than the typical 3% on one-ounce coins. But as the guy was talking they kept showing these workers in a vault with the sets on a table, counting out one-ounce coins and setting them on top of the plastic cases with the 5 tenth-ounce coins inside. Anyone looking at them might be led to believe they were buying the larger coins the workers were counting out in the vault. They were offering a fair deal to consumers with what they were selling, but why did they have to go over the top by showing the video of stacks and stacks of one ounce coins? Anyone getting these coins will likely be surprised that they are so small, even though the price they paid for them was fair. And I won't even get into the guy saying that some collectors are putting 20-30% of their wealth in gold, and that gold might hit $2,000 an ounce soon! Ugh. sign-rantpost.gif

Was it the Coin Vault? I'll stop by while channel surfing so I can get a good snicker. 27_laughing.gif I think yesterday one of the items was these wonderful modern proof sets for around $160. Thing about it was, it was 1964, 1972, 1989, and 3 other easy dates which I can't recall. As a bonus, if you called now, you'd get a couple of brown IKES, and a proof Silver Eagle. I'd put the whole deal at around $75 fair value. The guy said he suspects he won't be able to ever assemble such a great deal again as these are getting harder and harder to find! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif. Well, I guess convenience comes at a price.

The moment gold hits $2,000 an ounce, I'm cashing in! grin.gif

Just as long as they didn't say that these were going to be the actual coins...I guess they were in the right.Like cointagious said they were probably just wanting to show off the design.Of course shipping was probably outrageous if I know Coinvault well enough...:(