• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My thanks to NGC Graders and a few newps

9 posts in this topic

First, I want to thank Jim Young and Brian Silliman for their great work at the Charlotte grading seminar again. I've really learned a lot. And I am far better at scoping out good deals and good coins. Now I have a much better feel of how to evaluate a coin. So, here are two newps I picked up today. The first is a raw 1944D Merc. May not be an expensive coin (I grade it a strong 64 FB) but the luster is all there. And the other is an 1887 Morgan with exceptional luster.

Neil

138430-1944d.jpg.67e7929533bee95b66a984dbd12029e7.jpg

Very nice coins Neil. I expecially like the Morgan, even though the design does not appeal to me. Very pretty toning and the lustre is obvious, even in the photo (where I know a lot of the lustre is lost).

Hoot

Thanks guys! It really is a superb morgan. The luster is quite rich on it. If it weren't for two small areas on the cheek, it'd easily be a 66 coin because the luster is there and there really are not many marks on the field.

As I've been looking at the Merc more, I think it may grade a bit higher than 64. I may have been short shrifting it.

Anyway, here is a larger pic of the Morgan.

138638-1887_2.jpg.9eea9f42d5a831ae440695c340c583a0.jpg

Neil, that Morgan is a beauty. Very nice choice. It amazes me how much impact Brian, Jim, and Alex had on everyone who attended. I've spoken to several of the guys who attended, and all are still excited about the experience (myself included). It is also amazing the influence the ANA grading set exerted on my collecting interest. I won't be able to avoid gold for very long. I know you won't either. wink.gif