• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stars for proof coins

8 posts in this topic

I was wondering about stars on proof coins. It appears to me that coins that are almost cameo might get a star. Or cameo proofs that just miss Ultra cam might get a star.

What about toning? I have a beautifuly toned proof Roosevelt dime. It is brilliant with no cameo contrast at all. Can a coin like that get a star? Or are stars only given for just miss cameo contrast?

Carl,

I've got one one-sided cameo that made the designation, and one brilliant with toning that did. I think in both cases, it was awarded because the coin was better looking than the holder grade representation. Good luck!

I believe the guideline is that obverse cameos get the star. Coins that have a UCAM obverse and regular reverse get the star. These are standard.

Non cameos that are toned can get the star.

Thanks. I will be making my biggest submission to NGC soon. I have 3 coins I think deserve a star and 2 or 3 raw coins I'd like slabbed. That will be a big order for me smile.gif

i guess with it being the most really subjective thing the grading service does

it is a hit or miss thing and the coin would really need to knock them out

but overall the coin needs really tremendous eye appeal

if some coins do not get it that doesnot mean they are not of star quality but i can certianly understand ngc being really strick on the star

i guess as with any coin buy a coin you like and what counts is that it is a star to you!

but certianly stars are extra special eye appealling coins!

sincerely michael

I have an sms quarter, that did not get a cameo designation, but has the * designation. There is no question that the obverse is cameo. The reverse is borderline, enough so that it did not get the designation. I now own a gorgeous quarter for a fraction of the price a cameo would have cost me.

sweet irish

thast is waht the star is for for near miss cameos and ultra cameos that do not quite make it accourding to the service

which as always is a subjective thing but still a valued opinion none the less

something like your coin that is a cameo obverse and a near miss reverse so the services give it a star to say it is a great eye appealling coin and A NEAR MISS CAMEO

sincerely michael

now remember for many not yet submitted or alreasdy in holdeds that are near miss cameos or near miss ultra cameos you might have lots and lots and lots of star coins like your coin and that is okie just the way it is but will take years and years to access the star for coins such as yours

my friend has many early pre 1915 cameo coins that are near miss ultra cameos and others that are near miss cameos these would also most probably get the star if resubmitted

so the star is good for some coins and great for others yet monster great for others also it all depends on the coin itself and what the eye appeal is for

say for a monster toned monster technical perfect mintstare seated coin which gets a star and for me super rare and means lots os such

to say a coin that is a solid nice cameo one one side and a near miss on the other say the reverse and then is a modern coin the star is good but not the same as the seated coin

i guess with coins it is all a rather subjective thing and a matter of opinion and demand

for me coins after 1945 that get the star and really after 1965 that get the star with the modern minting process i guess the star is good but not as good as the seated example as per the above

sincerely michael

but all in all a star is for the most part a exceptional eye appealling coin

and of course with the modern coins some mondern series IF IN DEMAND super MOMNSTER POPULAR AND COULD BE ACTUALLY MORE POPULAR THEN THE SEATED COIN

SO

actually the modern could mean more???!!!!!!

as coins are only aboujt three things in this order

and nothing else

just these three things

1) DEMAND

2) DEMAND

3) DEMAND