• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Draped Bust Quarter with Major Clashed Dies and Maybe Adjustment Marks

14 posts in this topic

The coin in the attachment is the obverse of an 1805 Draped Bust quarter that I own. It is the most common variety of the five varieties for the date, a Browning 3. Of course, a total mintage of just over 120k means that any coin extant still is not extremely plentiful.

This coin is beautiful and has what appears to be a series of adjustment marks on the obverse. These are essentially parallel marks that seem to have been made with something with serated edges and the marks are only on the highest portion of the devices. All the marks that I can look at closely, with 10x magnification, look to have been made by the same instrument. Therefore, I do not believe they are circulation scratches.

The "E" of "LIBERTY" is nearly absent because it is directly opposite the eagle's tail feathers and the tail feathers are struck up well. There is also some evidence of clashing on the obverse as the outline of one wing can be seen in front of Ms. Liberty.

I will post the reverse in the next post.

138236-1.jpg.fcd0ace8ea6226384f14d26aeea4bcb0.jpg

As promised, here is the reverse. This is really quite cool as the nearly the entire outline of Ms. Liberty is plainly and clearly visible on the reverse. So that you might have a better orientation of the coin I will point out some landmarks.

The tip of Ms. Liberty's bust is visible in and around "OF" at 1:00 o'clock on the reverse. Her lower curls are shown amongst the stars above "PLURIBUS". Remnants of the bow that ties back her hair are visible under the eagle's right wing. The back of her head is between the shield and arrows while the crest of her skull is embeded in the bottom portion of the shield. Her profile emerges from between the shield and olive branches and runs up the wing until her eye is visible at the junction of the lowest wing feather and the shield. There is a line above the eagle's left wing and below and to the right of the stars that follows the contours of her bust.

The coin in hand shows these features dramatically and is a treat to look at, both obverse and reverse.

138244-2.jpg.6e8c06fa30c36a5fa66ce6dfbf83af87.jpg

Very nice coin. The adjustment marks look to be just that, and the clash is superb. I love the effect the large die cavities have on the opposite side of the coin. Once you start seeing the other side of the coin in the luster, it is almost a feature you expect to see.

Oh! Great coin tom... love those clash marks! What a lovely portrait of Liberty the Scot designs are.

Hoot

Thanks for the kind words about the coin, I will try to post an image of the reverse later with the clash marks outlined so that people can see just how complete they really are.

It's funny, I also like the Draped Bust design very much and the Small Eagle pairing with it is my favorite regular issue US coin. If one ever reads Breen, however, you will see that he really rips this design. He's merciless! Check out his writeup specifically as it deals with the quarters. It's brutal.

I really like your quarter TomB. It's a beautiful original coin which is just the way I like them.

Don't take this wrong but I'm not entirely sure that the marks on her face are adjustment marks. The adjustment marks I have seen on other early U.S. coins were straight. Yours see to be a little curved.

Believe it or not there are some adjustment marks on the 1805 dime, which I use as my avitar. They are so light however, that you need a 10X to see them.

I've attached a picture of the obverse of my 1795 Flowing Hair Dollar. This coin does have fairly heavy adjustment marks although they have never bothered me. You will note how they are in straight lines from several different angles.

138475-Little1795DolO.JPG.9258a8a85977ce2e7d762eef120f31f8.JPG

I see what you are writing about on your 1795 dollar, Bill. Is it a B5? This is the variety that mine is but I do not have it listed in my set yet as its scheduled turn has not arrived (Warning-Geek factor showing through!).

I can agree with your hesitation to embrace the adjustmant mark theory as it is just a theory of mine. I think they might be because the marks vanish once they meet the fields, are completely toned over in the same patina as the rest of the obverse and are made from a single, consistent instrument that might be some type of file. I will have to show it to you at the next show we are both at. I value your opinion and will take it to heart as you will say what you believe based upon reason and thought.

Higashiyama, yes, you will see this coin this summer as it has a permanent place in my collection regardless of how many examples and grades I have of these.

I forgot to attach an image of the 1795 I wrote of in the previous post, so, here it is.

138594-1795NGC20a.jpg.7496e6afdcd14620b834ee082215d3f7.jpg

all neat coins and i think tom i just saw another 1805 quarter with the same adjustmwnt makes in thew sameplace on miss libertys face just like your coin i will try to see if i can find where i saw it and copy and paste a photo for you!

sincerely michael