• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first submission when OK

6 posts in this topic

Around a year or so ago I purchased from an older gentlemen a 6 piece common date gold typeset and finally got around to doing the submission. I knew that all of these were not mint state and were lightly cleaned. I just did not know exactly where the borderline was between getting in a holder and not getting holdered, so I sent them in. The two coins that worried me the most were the 1 dollar and the three dollar pieces. Not because I could tell they were lightly cleaned or that they were cleaned more than any of the others, but because I wanted them to be authenticated. I had these pieces pegged at a 53 to 50 grade with the three dollar coin in the XF range (I am not familiar with three dollar gold, so weak strike was a big question). So as it turned out the $1. $2.5, and the $10 pieces came back AU58, and the three dollar came back a 55. The 5 and 20 were bagged for obverse cleaning. I am not disappointed that they were bagged, I am glad to learn where the borderline is, and I am very happy the one and three dollar were authentic (which I figured they were).

The other coin I had graded was a 1912 D. Barber out of a Anacs 61 holder that went to NCS. It came back from them looking a whole lot better and wound up in a 63 holder, which is the correct grade.

So I guess I grade a little tougher than I should. I wonder how many good deals I missed because of that.

I remember that 6-piece set from the other board, quite a bargain as I recall! Congrats on the good results!

That's the one, thx Russ.

and yes Jeff that was the set I mentioned a while ago. it was a deal that worked well for all.

I'll fix the sig someday