• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what coin are you currently looking to purchase and just cant seem to find?

23 posts in this topic

a coin if you found you could afford to buy today? and why cant you find it if you have been looking for it a long time?

sincerely michael

Currently, I am looking for branch mint Saints from the 1920s, been looking for a few months, and starting with the "easy" ones like the 22-S and 24-D, but they are very tough. I have seen a few, many of them overgraded in my opinion, but I did see one on eBay I wanted, and it sold before I had the chance to buy it!

I've been looking for a 1977 type "d" reverse quarter in unc since 1980 when I learned of it's existence. There were fewer than a hundred thousand made which is key to why I can't find it. Only about one coin in five thousand is the type "d" (small motto). These do not appear in mint sets and only a handful of dealers saved any meaningful supply of of BU rolls. I've spot checked these and have had no luck finding it. I find one in circulation occasionally but they are getting quite beat up. (the last one was an unattractive VG).

On the upside when I find it, it will probably cost only 50 cents or a dollar.

Michael,

I have been looking for a nice MS-66 1951 Booker T. Washington commemorative half for about a year without luck. frown.gif

The booker T. Washington and Washington-Carver issues are very tough in high grade, especially if you are looking for coins with eye appeal.

A 1924 S Peace dollar in MS65. I haven't seen even a single one for sale in years. Of course, there are only 50 in NGC holders and a comparable amount in PCGS plastic, so it's not like there are a bunch to choose from. Those that have them know this, and it would probably take a small fortune to pry them out of their hands. Similar stories for the '25 S, '27 S, and '28 S....

A certified 1879-CC Capped die Morgan in EF 40 or so. Doesn't seem like anybody has one to sell. I could probably find one raw, but the ones I've looked at already are all cleaned. I've seen some MS versions for sale, but don't want to put out that kind of money for one.

I am looking for an 1885-s or 1886-s with nice toning to add to my collection. Both of these coins are very hard to find with nice color. Anyone have any extras they want to sell?????????? grin.gif

Morgan dollars sorry blush.gif

An absolutely perfect, centered, well struck, non-porous planchet, chocolate brown without spots or verdigris, no digs, hits, scratches or dings VF Vermont landscape.

So, who's got one for me? smile.gif

I'd like a nice MS66 St. Gaudens. The MS66s I see aren't appealing to me. I find they have too many marks in the focal areas for me. The rare one I find that I like is always priced at near MS67 money.

I'd also like a super PQ MS66 Peace dollar that is dripping with luster and has no spots. Blast white or gold rim tone.

The New Rochelle can be found with PL surfaces with some ease. Same for some BTWs. Isabella quarters can be found with PL surfaces

I have a nice NGC MS64PL New Rochelle! I also have a 1949 and 1951-S MS65PL BTW's, a Rhode Island NGC MS65PL, and a super NGC MS65PL 1892 Columbian. But I am stuck. I have seen a couple of Isabella's but the price was IMO outragious. I will prob. have to settle for a low grade on that one. Oh, I almost forgot, I have a NGC MS63 1893 Columbian that is PL but NGC wouldn't give it the PL because of the deep toning. I also think that coin is undergraded as well.

The fun is in the chase! Not every dealer has PL's. In fact you can't even buy any from DHRC, he only sells PCGS and PCGS doesn't see PL's. tongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

In fact you can't even buy any from DHRC, he only sells PCGS and PCGS doesn't see PL's.

I thought he said he sells both PCGS and NGC coins. Was this another lie? shocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gif

I'd like to find any of the following Jefferson nickels in MS67FS: 1942-S, 1944-P, 1944-S, 1945-P, and 1945-S. Last 42-S in that condition that I saw sell at auction went for over $2100 - too much by about a grand if you ask me.

Hoot

That 50 population number of 1924-S Peace Dollars is probably a gross inflation. The 1924-S is normally found with so many marks and such a flat strike that I doubt there are more than half that many that are true MS65's. I looked for quite a while to find the MS64 coin that I have in my set (see Attachment).

My most wanted and least available coin is the 1858 Three Cent Silver in MS63/64. I would like a nice evenly toned example to match the rest of my set. I have saved up the money to buy it. Now I just have to find one that I like.

140161-1924SPeace.jpg.710540230cc0b4d4d548de16deef4370.jpg

That 50 population number of 1924-S Peace Dollars is probably a gross inflation. The 1924-S is normally found with so many marks and such a flat strike that I doubt there are more than half that many that are true MS65's. I looked for quite a while to find the MS64 coin that I have in my set (see Attachment).

I'm sure you're right. So many have probably been sent back through (as crackouts) in search of the elusive MS66 (and a huge $$ windfall), I bet there are truly only half that many actual coins.

Here's mine in MS64; it has a terrific strike for the issue, but too many marks for gem....

'24 S MS64 obverse

I should probably be happy with it, but my goal is 65 or higher for each issue... blush.gif

Strike is the main criteria for both the 1924-S and 1925-S Peace dollars. They both typically have really poor strikes and incidentally usually quite a few mardks as well (attached is my 1925-S as an example of strike).

140209-1925SPeace.jpg.b82109ed06c5511ca3cd617edd54197a.jpg