• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what in your opinion is the most undervalued series in proof/ms?

31 posts in this topic

which usa federal coin series is the most undervalued best buy/biggest value/bang for the buck? currently in the market?

proof? mintstate???

sincerely michael

If I had to pick just ONE, I would go with Barber coinage. The proof numbers are miniscule, and the cost is minimal in comparison.

As for others, IHC's are another good pick, as well as most seated series. The coins can still be picked up at reasonable levels in relation to the mintages. Demand is reasonable also.

We always think Comemmoratives will fall into this category, but they never seem to take off, so I keep them off the list. smile.gif

bigd5,

I agree that it has been awhile since early commemoratives have been hot, but with a lot of the coins having tiny mintages prices could skyrocket when collectors 'find' this underrated series again. wink.gif

John

I'd have to agree with Barber coinage... ESPECIALLY in Full Liberty Fine or better. It's relatively easy to find Barbers in less than Fine, but Full Liberty is difficult.

Barbers are a good choice because of their scarcity in higher grades (circ or uncirc), but I think if you're going for more bang for your buck, early Commemoratives are the way to go.

Super low mintages on many of them and whether you choose blast white or colorfully toned coins the variety of designs will not bore you.

Do I sense someone else who appreciates the early silver commemoratives? shocked.gif

Can this be true? ooo.gif

Quick somebody pinch me, I think I may be dreaming! confused.gif

Seriously through braddick, I think the early commemoratives are a series with great potential to the upside. I think when the new generation of collectors begin to expand their collecting to other series and realize the low mintages that some of these coins have, the series will be appreciated again.

John

Early Commem's have had "upside" forever. It isn't going to happen. There are just too many (even though the mintage numbers are low) examples floating around, of even the rarer pieces, to allow a significant spike in price. Sure, the monster toned, or tougher to find issues always carry a premium, but as a whole, the series is stagnant, and has been for as long as I can remember.

This is from a guy who likes some of these too!!! smile.gif

bigd5,

I agree that if you don’t mind acquiring circulated or lower mint state coins there are a lot of them to be found. But if you are trying to put a set together consisting of eye appealing MS-65 or better coins it is not an easy task, if it were my set would have been completed a long time ago!

I think this is one of the reasons that the early comm.’s are overlooked. There are so many lower mint state examples of the more common coins kicking around, a lot of which are sorely lacking in eye appeal I might add, that many don’t realize how difficult this series can be.

I think this is similar to Morgan dollars. Morgan dollars can be found by the tons at any coin show or shop in circulated or lower mint state condition, but I don’t think anyone would say that it would be easy or not be desirable to put a set of MS-65 or better eye appealing coins together.

John

I have to agree with much of what bigd5 is writing about early commems. I absolutely adore this series when the coins are attractively preserved, however, the numbers of extant pieces in high grade are relatively enormous for many issues. Notice that even though the original mintages are rather miniscule when compared to contemporary circulating coinage, the extant pieces often dwarf those contemporary survivors in high MS grades. Many of these pieces are gorgeous with far greater artistic merit than nearly any other effort our Mint has ever produced. Many also are difficult to obtain in truly stunning appearance. I think what keeps this series from really booming is that there are quite a few issues to buy in order to collect a type or complete set, that there may not be enough of many of the individual issues to mass-market the coins and that the horribly toned pieces seem to pop up everywhere and dampen enthusiasm for this fascinating group. These reasons are in addition to the other reasons that affect many coins in terms of popularity.

To sum up, I really like the series and find individual issues compelling but have been waiting for them to take off for many years. At this point I would be happy if they continually stayed where they are.

for me i love the value of early commems and also the fact that they are lower now in price then back 12 years ago!!!!!

much lower and also they are buy coins value coins with still a huge potential and yes for some series and grades there are many but this is an all american series and for thos especial coins 65 66 67 68 WITH THE RIGHT LOOK COINS ARE FEW AND FAR BETWEEN

I MEAN THE RIGHT LOOK that is the key

at any price now they are buys only waiting for demand and then they skyrocket to the moon

for example if i waas buying a pilgrim 1920 it would be either a 65 or 66 coin but the coin would need to have monster lustre and NOT BE BLAST WHITE BUT only rainbow iridescent toned on the rims or nicely iridescent on the coin then you gots a rare coin and a really undervelued uncommon coin trhis coin wouls then have a reason to rise in value and always in my opinion be in demand

or lets say the most rarest undervalued set in commem kingdom i mean totally original and nicely toned

a set ngc pcgs ms 65 or 66 ORIGINAL MATCHED SET OF CINCIS P D S now that set would be a great value buy onlt to go up in value and just not seen or available

another coin that would be really good is any ark half in ms 66 but with nice to very good lustre and great multicolored rim toning now that would be one hellva good buy rare!!!! coin

or lets sAY A BOONe in ms 66 67 68 and not with the usual white or dull satin surfaces or the drab crappy golden brown yellow toning but lets say a monster rainbow and good or better lustre and ifferent original colors ay the lilac you so etimes see on original toned commems

now that woulsd be a greast coin!!!!!!!! underevalued and with a fundimantal reason to rise in value

or even a neatly cardboard originally tonewd oregon with of course decent lustre very good lustre wahtever you call it ms 67 68 thayt would also be a goodcoin! and a value buy coin

the list goes on and on

i guess overall most commems are NOT GOOD BUYS OR AT BEST OKIE BUYS BUT some are fantastic buys but the coin has to have the right look and sing to you and walk and talk then you gots a true undervalued good buy early commem coin

and really if you think about it when not if but when the commems in 65 66 67 68 take off any reasonbel coin willdo very well but it has to have the key for commems

THE ULTIMATE KEY IT HAS TIOHAVE EXCEPTIONAL EYE APPEAL EXCPETIONAL

nothing more nothing less

here is an image scan of an excopetional boone this is waht i am talking about

137334-boone35.jpg.4490cbfd380c12b2a7e1ae9639930827.jpg

or this coin with amazing lustre totally undipped origiinal surfaces and the best detail of the words on the lib bell i have ever seen

also this coin needs to be sight seen to really apprecaite this coin

137345-sesqui.jpg.1d0e91070c3911f846d9bcfb559f90c9.jpg

Michael, the Arkansas appears to have some nice rosy toning on the reverse, in the center. Is this correct? If so, it must be a beaut in person!

Regards,

Beijim

Guys! Since when did 'undervalued' mean the series was due for a gain? No- I don't think Commemoratives, in general, are due to a spike. Far from it.

But this fact alone does not take it out of "undervalued" status. Think about it.

beijim you are absolutely right this coin is like 1000 times better in person

this ark it is currently in a 66 pcgs holder for a 66 it is super really nice

and braddick pat iagree with you! but for me i personally think all the history and great coins especially so the lower pop gem and superb gem coins that are truly as graded with super duper eye appeal they are like giveaway coins currently

for me the later modern commems have nothing on these early commems and i think just a type set of 52 would be something that would transend thruogh all boumndries of collectors and even the general public enamored with the state qwuarter program

if even a little more demand would be there even the higher populatioon coins in the early commems i think would skyrocket

and even if not all the gem and higher grades with exceptionAl monster eye appeal have a fundimantal reason to rise in value

but i guess only time will tell!

sincerely michael

Who needs spikes smile.gif (in price)? I deal in "lower end" certified "old" commemorative coins, and I own a type set for myself (which is registered here). Over the past couple of years there has been a slow but steady increase in prices. For example a couple years ago the bid price for a Connecticut half dollar in MS-64 was $225. Today it's up to $260. That's no spike, but it beats a lot of other investments during that same time period.

I really don't like market spikes. Usually they are a reflection of a promotion or a fad. Usually such activities either settle down or worse yet crash and burn. If you don't time it perfectly, you won't make the profits that might seem possilble on paper.

I prefer the "turtle" approach. Slow and steady wins the race, and for a lot of collectors who hold their coins for a long time, that usually is the best.

Bill,

I’ am with you. I don’t want to see a big spike in prices for two reasons. First, because I am still looking for a good number of the coins to complete my set. And second because I also believe that slow and steady is the way to go if the prices are to remain stable once they do rise.

John

I don't know about mint state barber they are kind of pricey but f to au is more inline with my budget. but for someone who likes mint state coins you can't find anything better to get into than commemoratives.

John, that is a beautiful Arkansas and there aren't many of that issue that are truly stunning. Oddly enough, the Arkansas issue is one that I would really like to see in dripping, frosty, original blast white and that I have not seen yet in such a state.

I also agree with the incremental approach to appreciation as it makes buying them a continued philosophy and the resultant gains can be a pleasant surprise. Anything with tremendous eye appeal has potential.

Here is one of my few commems, it's a Columbian half that is superb.

138083-92COLUMBIANPCGS64R.jpg.c276335ec6528ec15bd4af64c6ab94b1.jpg

Tom,

That really is a beautiful Columbian! smile.gif I have a couple of Arkansas that are blast white and frosty. I will try to post some photos of them tomorrow night as I have to work all day tomorrow and don't have the time to do it now.

Here is a photo of the obverse of my 1893 Columbian.

John

589a8abf84a3b_138117-1893columbianobv.jpg.abcef8d3c338385858babec7d8de3e5e.jpg

all great coin scans and even better responses!

i think like bill said that coins good coins with tremendous eye appeal held long periods by collectors and with a gradural rise always makes for a fun hobby and sometimes a fair return when your collection is sold after a long time/lifetime of collecting

i guess overall it evens out over the long haul some mistakes and then some lucky surprises

sincerely michael

I prefer the "turtle" approach. Slow and steady wins the race, and for a lot of collectors who hold their coins for a long time, that usually is the best.

Bill,

To quote Jack Nicholson from The Shining (albeit in a somwhat different context), "Words of wisdom, Lloyd. Words... of... wisdom!" laugh.gif

Regards,

Beijim

Tom,

Here is a photo of the obverse of my 1938d Arkansas. This coin is blast white with frost. cool.gif It is much better than the photo, but the photo is the best I can do. frown.gif

589a8abf86dfe_138828-38do.jpg.379737691850f470b8b320588912d9c5.jpg

Tom,

Here is the reverse of the '38d Arkansas. I also have a 1935s Ark. and 1937 Ark. that are blast white and frosty. As you know Arkansas are not that easy to find like this, most have dirty looking tone.

John

589a8abf89564_138832-38dr.jpg.8039244c729f658390ef652553e7daa4.jpg