• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trivia Question (Bust Coinage)

16 posts in this topic

I was reading something very interesting recently that gave me this idea for a trivia question...

How many proof-only die marriages are there of silver Capped Bust coinage?

For extra credit, name them.

EVP

C'mon, people! I acknowledge that this question is difficult. But, is it that difficult? There are many Bust experts that come around here every now and again...

Keith, I know that you're just a type guy. But, you've always been a trooper about trying to answer my questions before. If you could list a couple, you'd get at least partial credit!!!

Also, I personally know of a few others who've expressed interest in Capped Bust coinage, especially the halves. (Hint: there are halves in the complete answer.) Let's show us what you've learned!!!

EVP

PS There's a bigger reason for this question than just trivia knowledge!

Ok, EVP, I rarely even attempt your trivia questions since they usually make my head hurt, but I don't want you to feel ignored, so here goes nothing.

The short answer is I don't know, but I did learn in some searching around on the topic, that the 1827 quarters were all proofs, and there were also restrikes, and all are 1827/3 overdates. The originals have a curled 2 base, while the restrikes have a flat 2 base. So given this information, I can only suggest there are at least 2 proof only die marriages on capped bust silver coinage, though this is based on the assumption that the reverse dies on the 1827 proofs were not also used in circulation strikes.

Ok, Jeff gets partial credit.

The 1827 Br.1 is one of the correct answers. (That is the "original" one, and I'm ignoring the restrikes. Technically, the 1827 Br.2 is also correct.) And, yes, it is an overdate!

Anyone else?

EVP

One of my alltime favorites the 1838-o bust half dollar. EVP

I believe the proof set that Legend had was dated 1822 and was assembled from three great collections. The dime from the Stack collection. The quarter was ex. Pittman and the half dollar came from the Norweb collection. Very cool! laugh.gif

EVP,

1827 JR10 dime, a couple of quarters, no half dimes or 1794-1803 dollars, and some crushed lettered edge half dollars (1832 O-123, 1833, 1834). The CLE half dollars were experimental coins struck at the same time of the Class 1 1804 Dollars. The Smithsonian is the only institution or collector who owns one example of each. I think the 1832 half sold for over $200,000.

Bill

1801, 02, 03, and 04 dollars.

These aren't Turbs...

I also meant to exclude restrikes, novodels and fantasy pieces. Technically, I also meant to exclude the RE specimens, but I the '38-O is technically correct (if you include RE specimens).

As Nysoto pointed out, there are 3 CLE's: 1833 O-116, 1834 O-122 and 1835 O-111. They are generally considered restrikes, and not even in Overton (3rd Ed.). In any case, they could not have been struck after 1836. They share a common reverse die with 1836 O-106, and it's an earlier die state than 1836 O-106a. The 1832 O-123 is not a CLE. The dime is 1827 JR-10.

Do we include the CLE's and not the 1827 25c Br-2? The 1827 Br-2 has two die states, rust-free (early) and with rust (later). Both were minted in the 1858-1860 timeframe.

As for the 3 1822-dated proofs, I believe all three were NOT proof-only marriages.

So... who can guess why I started this thread?

EVP

PS Nysoto did great!!! He gets nearly full credit!

you asked this because you just bought stock in Johnson and Johnson, the makers of Tylenol, a product for which this thread has increased my demand? tongue.gifshocked.gifcrazy.gif

paigow_johnny,

it was just a few nights ago that I figured out where your signature came from, and it's quite funny!

Oh, Jeff, cut it out! You did better than I would have if you had asked me a similar question about Saints... Well, maybe not, 'cuz it depends on how much effort I put into researching the question.

Several weeks ago, NGC had as one of the Numisma-quest questions something about which Large Cent dates only has a single Sheldon/Newcomb variety. I am a total weenie when it comes to coppers, and I have no references on the stuff. What did I do? Instead of throwing my inadequate library out the window, I decided to think of an online source that may have the info. The one most easily accessible is NGC's own online census. They break the data down by attribution numbers, so I merely had to go online and list out every LC by date and variety.

Do you see where I'm going with this yet?

I'm trying to illustrate the power of research information. Data. Books, catalogs, etc. My question is absurdly easy to answer if you are a member of the JRCS or if you have the B&M catalog of the Logan Sale.

I think you like this stuff, headache or no. If you haven't done so already, make sure you join the JRCS (and, eventually, the BHNC) and build up your library of important catalogs.

I had been meaning to round out my library by acquiring the missing pieces (notably, for early coppers and gold). This is important stuff, and -- note to self -- having this info makes us all the more competitive in this grand hobby of ours!

EVP

EVP,

If it makes you feel better, your preaching works (at least on me), I just got the April JRCS Journal in the mail this afternoon!