• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it time to start melting...

3 posts in this topic

...Pennies?!? With the price of copper now at a record $1.71 per pound, the value of the copper in pre-1982 cents is now greater than face value. In fact about 153 pennies makes a pound of copper, which is now worth $1.71. How long before we see all the old Lincoln cents disappear from circulation? Do any of you save them? I admit, I put all my copper cent in a jar and get rid of the zinc ones (though I am not as bad as my uncle who throws the zinc cents out into the driveway so the lime from the gravel eats them to nothing 893whatthe.gif).

...Pennies?!? With the price of copper now at a record $1.71 per pound, the value of the copper in pre-1982 cents is now greater than face value. In fact about 153 pennies makes a pound of copper, which is now worth $1.71. How long before we see all the old Lincoln cents disappear from circulation? Do any of you save them? I admit, I put all my copper cent in a jar and get rid of the zinc ones (though I am not as bad as my uncle who throws the zinc cents out into the driveway so the lime from the gravel eats them to nothing 893whatthe.gif).

My microwave can't get hot enough frustrated.gif

screwy.gif

Fact is that copper is going to have to go a whole lot higher before you could actually make a profit after all the refining fees.Not to mention that not everyone has one in their area...I just spend them...