• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1921 D Morgan Dollar

4 posts in this topic

I rarely see this coin get mentioned. After all, it was the first and only Denver minted Morgan dollar. And from what I have seen, the strike and surfaces aren't what I would call prime stuff. But I did find this beauty at the Charlotte show at a good price. It's a solid 64. 65 was too expensive and really barely better than this one. This one has exceptional luster for the grade, just one or two particular marks on the cheek really keeps this from being 65. This example has some interesting die cracks, too.

Neil

134617-1921d_obv.jpg.8a7346cfc5d3faf1e44b57ef9c1f6e46.jpg

If I remember right, the 1921s were made from a transfer die process from earlier pieces due to the hubs having been destroyed after '04. Can anyone fill in the details? The relief is much lower than on earlier Morgans.

The die cracks on this one are quite interesting. Especially since the coin is so lustrous and well struck. I wonder how many strikes the die could do after that much damage?