• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wife found Barber Dime today (metal detecting)

18 posts in this topic

1896-S, rather low mintage. Redbook says in this condition worth around $200.

fc6b3890.jpg

Congrats!!

It's hard to see the obverse, so guessing the grade is a little difficult. How clear is the word Liberty on her head band?

It's worth $50 in Good, $100 in Very Good, and $200 in Fine according to the Greysheet.

I know, lousy obverse picture. Wish I could master that camera. All letters in LIBERTY visible, but 3 EXTREMELY faded and weak, but still there.

Well, the good news is that it will probably grade Fine.

The bad news is that between Fine and Extra Fine, there is really very little price difference.

Still, it is a $200+ coin. If she wants to sell it, you know where to send it.

Cool!

If she wants to sell it, you know where to send it.

No, actually, I don't...

Correction, I'm an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. YES, I do know where to send it. I was thinking you were talking grading companies.!

TJ

Great find...

A key date dime(one of)

Keep checking the area around were you found the same coin...especially around the base of big tree's. At one time those big trees were a little smaller...kid's with dimes and pennies,etc to have in their pockets,then climb the tree's.

Get my drift wink.gif

Rob

Correction, I'm an insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

Be careful saying things like that around here. You never know if Arch will make that your title. smirk.gifsmirk.gifsmirk.gif

ARCH likes my Sub-Drivel title, as do I. I am so happy tonight that we ordered a big pizza delivery with side dishes like fried zuccini, and all sorts of other stuff. My wife is even off tomorrow due to CESAR CHAVEZ holiday. I would be jealous except when I actually show up for work I just surf here. Haha. cool.gif

• Administrator
Be careful saying things like that around here. You never know if Arch will make that your title.

MUHAHAHAHAHAHA! (reaching for title controls)

Just kidding.

(disappearing back into the shadows) wink.gifgrin.gif

Arch

Great find! Congratulations! I've often thought that metal detecting could be quite fun. BTW, where did you find it? I know people often look in parks, etc. Around Montana, folks sometimes look along old fencerows of farms. Great stuff.

Hoot

Mhooten, she found it in an old turn of the 20th century park in San Jose, CA. It was known for its mineral springs and used to be a get-away place for people wanting mineral baths.

That is so cool!!!!! I keep wanting to try detecting, but I just never seem to have the time! Maybe someday when I retire.

For me, it isn't the time so much as knowing how to get to the places that would have anything and dealing with getting permission, etc. So I'll probably wait a few decades. By then they'll probably have super duper detectors.

It is a cool find, but it still doesn't compare to the rarities we found at the 10,000 Club meeting last year. Now those were some nice coins. smirk.gif

It is a cool find, but it still doesn't compare to the rarities we found at the 10,000 Club meeting last year. Now those were some nice coins.

lol. I have a picture of those "rarities".

You people weren't patient enough to find the good stuff there at Irvine Regional. I'm sure there's a lot of silver there.