• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gold!!!

16 posts in this topic

I went up to Madison WI this morning to go to the show. We picked up my grandfather (peace dollar collector) who had some nice freebies sent to my by board members (Thank you evp and WingedLiberty)

We got to the show and it was pretty nice. Pretty packed, there was lots washingtons and frankies and a suprising amount of patterns. Lots of $20 and $10 gold coins, and a bunch of mid to late 1800's proof coins. I was searching for drapped bust dimes and G$1s. I found many very nice flowing hair coins and some great bust coins but none were in my price range. I found a very pretty 1856 G$1 type 3 in NGC AU-58 and picked it up. It pretty much cleaned me out cash wise so I was done with buying for the rest of the show. Morgans as usual were pretty hot as well as Saints and seated material. Over all it was a very nice show with a bit over 20 dealers which packed the Sheraton's ballroom up to the brim.

G1DOL.jpgG1DOLR.jpg

Great gold dollar KK! grin.gif It's a real beauty, looks like a lot of luster there, and just enought wear to make it AU. But with these coins, and AU is often just as pretty as an MS, for a lot less money! I must admit I'm a bit jealous as I only have a Type 1 gold dollar! frown.gif

KK

I probably bumped into you!!!

Your right is was packed,for some strange reason I went to look for FSB Roosie's...I found 6 looked at probably 200...all raw coins. Two of them are crescent rainbow toned(obv.&rev.) the other is a purplish color on the obv.

I wish a had a camera to show you...

anyway, also picked up a couple of vf barber halves..I got them for stupid money, $20 for a 10-S and $25 for a 11-D the 11-D could go vf-25 grin.gif

also looked at some clad washington qtrs. boy are some of those coins JUNK!!!!!!

I think, from cladking's posts and others, those coins (for the money) could be sleepers.

all in all very pleased with the show

Rob

AU58 gold can be a tremendous bargain considering it often looks like MS63 gold at first blush yet only costs a relatively small fraction of MS63 gold. Good purchase!

KK you are way cool ... I didn't even THINK of buying gold when I was a Kid ... couldn't afford it or probably just assumed I couldn't !!! I like the image of an enthusiastic YN forum member in bright orange shoving everyone out of the way to get at the AU gold lol ... when I was a kid certain dealres wouldn't even talk to me mad.gif ... later, when I dropped a couple mil on coins, they didn't get any business hehehehe tongue.gif

Sunnywood

Looks like a nice Au-58. Lots and lots of eye appeal, and nice color to it.....what a find!!! Good quality gold dollars are hard to find, as they often show considerable wear, due to their size and softness. It is very hard to find good uncirculated specimens of dollars around that look that nice.