• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hi - dee - ho!

33 posts in this topic

Long time no post! Sorry I've been absent, but my computer at home has been nothing but trouble since May. So I can post less often, but hopefully they will be quality posts! 27_laughing.gif Anyhow, as promised, here is a link to my latest Saint, the 08 WM ( 1908 W/Motto ). Yes, I got it a couple months ago, but hey these things take time. Also, the pictures aren't the greatest, but with my recent PC problems, at least they aren't clip art! makepoint.gif

Welcome back Jeff. I just bought a new computer because mine was acting up as well. Congratulations on purchase of the No Motto Saint.

Jeff, er, Jeff who??? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hey, diddlely-dee, neighbor. crazy.gif

Just like old times with the three of us (including Charlie). Our forum meeting out of Seattle was and is a fond memory. Gee, I sure was a newbie back then. blush.gif

Just got back from Vegas and bought a 2004 Honda Civic LX for my daughter, Hannah. Only has 3600 miles on it.

I also spoke with Spy88, David. He seems way cool. His voice sounds a lot like Chris Machuga. Really. They're both swell fellas. acclaim.gif

Well, after the drive back to Tonopah, it's definitely time to get a little shut-eye.

Nice to see you back, Jeff!

Hey guys, it's good to be back! (by the way, there was a little confusion on the Saint, as this one has the motto, so it was a bit tougher than the more common no motto variety). OT3, I haven't seen you in ages! I was getting worried about you as I hadn't seen your Saint set anymore. Good to see you are still on the boards. Victor, how is Nevada? My cousin still lives in Reno, but his sister in going into her last year at Michigan State, so she is out near me. Their parents still live in Vegas though. Anyhow, I still need to get a new computer eventually, as now I have to rely on my old 97 Thinkpad with the P90 and 33.6 modem (you think big photos are bad on standard dial up, you haven't seen anything!). So without the web, I have been doing things old school, like reading Coin World in my favorite easy chair!

Nevada is good since I pretty much grew up here. Tonopah is Nevada with a "twist", however, but it is almost all good. My contract is up towards the end of Sept. and I may go back to Alaska. Would be nice to pass through Seattle to see my former Vietnamese honey.

Let's see if my gold will attach. For whatever reason, my computer and NGC are NOT compatable.

The photo is way too dark. It certainly doesn't do the coin the least bit of justice. It is graded NGC AU 50 but is 100% original with no baking soda nor hairlines.

589a8ef6eff22_877373-5gold.jpeg.e6afbc87a782aed90db3321250c1b8cb.jpeg

Very nice classic head half eagle Victor, though you need better light since it was so dark I thought it was a strange half cent! I have an 1835 NGC EF-45 that I bought raw on eBay (imagine that!) and it has very nice original surfaces. I also have an 1836 in an ANACS holder, "Sea Salvaged" AU details net EF-40 which is one of my favorite early gold coins. I've often wondered what the sea salvaged designation meant, but the coin looks pretty nice for spending some time in the ocean! The wonders of gold, not even salt water can harm it!

Very nice classic head half eagle Victor, though you need better light since it was so dark I thought it was a strange half cent! I have an 1835 NGC EF-45 that I bought raw on eBay (imagine that!) and it has very nice original surfaces. I also have an 1836 in an ANACS holder, "Sea Salvaged" AU details net EF-40 which is one of my favorite early gold coins. I've often wondered what the sea salvaged designation meant, but the coin looks pretty nice for spending some time in the ocean! The wonders of gold, not even salt water can harm it!

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

The photo was from Mark Feld's web page. I eventually want to get the proper set up for photographing my coins. I've saved some tips by JamminJ for future reference.

I eventually want to get my 1836's little sister in matching grade/originality. Surprisingly, it is equal in price or more. Strange since it seems that more 2 1/2 peices would have been saved at the time. Were there any hoards ever found containing the classic head gold?

I am not aware of any contemporary hoards of classic head gold being found, and I suspect few contemporary coins were hoarded due to the reduction in gold content that resulted in the design being issued in 1834. With the lower fineness (0.8992) and lower weights, I suspect that most foreign banks and individuals would have opted to hoard earlier issues. As for modern numismatic hoards, probably the largest group was the Bass collection which contained quite a few half eagles when it was sold (see Bass Catalog Link ).

Great info, you numismatic guru, you! grin.gif

Been trying to order from the US Mint for over an hour now via telephone and online. Aha, success! Being helped now. Buying quantities for investment purposes.

Jeff, er, Jeff who??? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hey, diddlely-dee, neighbor. crazy.gif

Just like old times with the three of us (including Charlie). Our forum meeting out of Seattle was and is a fond memory. Gee, I sure was a newbie back then. blush.gif

Just got back from Vegas and bought a 2004 Honda Civic LX for my daughter, Hannah. Only has 3600 miles on it.

I also spoke with Spy88, David. He seems way cool. His voice sounds a lot like Chris Machuga. Really. They're both swell fellas. acclaim.gif

Well, after the drive back to Tonopah, it's definitely time to get a little shut-eye.

Nice to see you back, Jeff!

Now is it a good or a bad thing that you didn't mention me? Still a little miffed about me outbidding you on the ANA set? grin.gif

J/K! welcome to the boards Jeff,even if you've been here before hi.gif

I don't even know you, youngster.

Oh, yes you do grin.gif

I'll try not to enjoy the set to much! Link!

-Hayden yay.gif

Nope, if Bill Clinton can deny having sexual relations with all of those women then I can certainly deny a relationship with you...

grin.gif

For the record, the only thing that I know about this Hayden Tubbs guy is that Tubby ain't Chubby . tonofbricks.gif

Actually, Hayden, I'm glad that you did outbid me because I don't want to go off on anymore collecting tangents. I got the '77 and the '80 sets because I think that the designs are awesome but I still need to finish my type collection and I still need ten more modern silver dollar commems to complete my set so, thanks bud. thumbsup2.gif

It was kind of cool actually having something is common with Chris, however, besides our dashing good looks and our wit. sign-funnypost.gif

And, to top it all off, I just forked out quite a few bucks to buy my daughter a 2004 Honda Civic LX so my coinage is spread a little thin right now.

Oh, yes you do grin.gif

-Hayden yay.gif

By the way Hayden where is my finders fee 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Do you think I send you PM's about stuff I find on EBAY just because I like you stooges.gif

Hi Jeff: I sold all of my Saints, Eagles, Half eagles and gold type except for a 20th Century set. I'm still around though. I am slowly building a 1910 Mint Set as I can find coins (not easy as it sounds) and funds.

Hi Jeff: I sold all of my Saints, Eagles, Half eagles and gold type except for a 20th Century set. I'm still around though. I am slowly building a 1910 Mint Set as I can find coins (not easy as it sounds) and funds.

Charlie, please tell me that that isn't your birth year-set! foreheadslap.gifgrin.gif

Nuts! I know there were a few of your coins that would have found a nice home in my set and I missed the opportunity, all because of these stupid computers! Christo_pull_hair.gif Oh well, hopefully you profited well and could use at least some of the proceeds for your latest endeavor. Will this 1910 mint set include every denomination and mint? Sounds like a heck of a project!

Oh, yes you do grin.gif

-Hayden yay.gif

Nope, if Bill Clinton can deny having sexual relations with all of those women then I can certainly deny a relationship with you...

grin.gif

interesting way of putting it blush.gif

For the record, the only thing that I know about this Hayden Tubbs guy is that Tubby ain't Chubby . tonofbricks.gif

Yes and you are an asset to the boards,or would that be an asset minus et 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

old joke... grin.gif

Actually, Hayden, I'm glad that you did outbid me because I don't want to go off on anymore collecting tangents. I got the '77 and the '80 sets because I think that the designs are awesome but I still need to finish my type collection and I still need ten more modern silver dollar commems to complete my set so, thanks bud. thumbsup2.gif

Man you're Noe fun,now who am I going to egg on about it? sign-rantpost.gif

So you plan on selling the the '77 and '80 sets? devil.gif

It was kind of cool actually having something is common with Chris, however, besides our dashing good looks and our wit. sign-funnypost.gif

Wit and good looks,eh? What have you been smoking? 27_laughing.gif

And, to top it all off, I just forked out quite a few bucks to buy my daughter a 2004 Honda Civic LX so my coinage is spread a little thin right now.

Ouch,I'd say so.And this is the 15 year old daughter?Man I wish my parents had bought me a car. grin.gif

Oh, yes you do grin.gif

-Hayden yay.gif

Do you think I send you PM's about stuff I find on EBAY just because I like you stooges.gif

You don't? blush.gif

J/K! 27_laughing.gif Yes,thanks for pointing those out to me.I do appreciate it,and I'm sure that the seller does as well. smirk.gif

ANA Set? This sounds like it could be an interesting story, care to share?

I think I started this whole thing in "Tangents", but they are just being "ANA"L about it. 27_laughing.gif

Chris

ANA Set? This sounds like it could be an interesting story, care to share?

I think I started this whole thing in "Tangents", but they are just being "ANA"L about it. 27_laughing.gif

Chris

screwy.gif

Oh, yes you do grin.gif

-Hayden yay.gif

You don't? blush.gif

J/K! 27_laughing.gif Yes,thanks for pointing those out to me.I do appreciate it,and I'm sure that the seller does as well. smirk.gif

Oh yes "that seller" is very happy. If you need me I need to list more ANA sets devil.gif

wink.gif

Oh yes "that seller" is very happy. If you need me I need to list more ANA sets devil.gif

wink.gif

Okay, how about the '77, '78, '81 & '82 ANA sets?

Chris

OK guys, I'm not that old! Sorry you missed my Saints Jeff. DLRC auctioned them off and they all sold for strong prices. As you know, it was a quality set with (29) dates and MM's completed, including (11) MS64/65 coins.

My birth year is not 1910 but I started a 1909 Mint Set and realized how expensive the "S" mint cents were and how rare the "O" Mint coins were. This epiphany (duh!) quickly ended the 1909 set adventure. So, I took stock of my inventory and realized that I had all (3) MM Saints dated 1910, a MS63 1910-D Eagle, a 1910-P Barber half and 1910-P Barber dime, both in MS64 plus a 1910-P Liberty Nickel in MS65. This level of existing inventory seemed a good place to start a new mint set.

This moment of enlightenment all took place about the time of Richmond Collection auction #3. So, I bought (2) more 1910 MM Barber dimes, both MM Barber quarters and both MM Lincolns in the Richmond sale. Anyhow, the set is now 75% completed, but I will probably upgrade the one AU gold coin sometime in the future. The MS63 1910 Indian gold denominations are pretty pricey (except the 1910-P Eagle), but available occasionally. I missed a nice MS63 1910-P Eagle because I did not pull the trigger fast enough. It sold (2) hours after listing!

Everyone says that the branch mint 1910 Barber coins are available, but try and find them, especially the halves. I have been looking for a 1910-S Barber Half for a year and have not seen a decent one. This set is hard enough to keep me interested and it controls my spending rate because the coins are so hard to find!