• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which Coin Is Better III (Early Dollars)

14 posts in this topic

As promised, I am posting another installment of the "Which Coin Is Better" series. This time, I will use two 1803 dollars for everyone to comment on...

BB-252-AU.JPG

BB-255-AU.JPG

EVP

#1 appears to be a little better struck (or less wear), but #2 appears more original. My vote goes to #2, although this is the closest two you've posted yet, in my opinion.

EVP,

I like the first coin. It seems to have more detail on both the obverse and reverse. I also like the color better. I especially like the amount of hair detail.

John

#1 looks like it is higher grade (both appear like AUs), but I don't like the dark areas on the high points. I also don't like the streaks across the reverse (planchet marks or toning?).

I like #2 better, but it's close. It just has a more "original" look to me. However, I don't care for the dark toning around the rim. Even though it is small (and common), I don't like the die rotation on this coin. Just a pet peeve.

I guess I like #1 better, but they both really pretty much suck, and I would probably jsut spend them on candy. shocked.gifblush.gif Ok, to be honest, they are both very close, but not in a good way in my opinion. The first obverse appears to have a better strike given the greater hair detail, and details on the drapery, but it also looks like Liberty just got beat up and tossed in an alley. I like the first reverse better than the second, as the second has some severe moss building up around the edge, but then again, the first one has what appears to be fudge laden skid marks across the eagle. These two are very close in my opinion, and neither jumps of the screen screaming "Buy Me, Buy Me!" And that's ok, since I'm not an ED collector, they probably shouldn't be talking to me at all.

I would love to have either one in my collection! But I do like the obverse of the first coin because Miss Liberty has more detail. I also like the color of the first coin more than #2. But both coins are very nice.

EVP, both coins are fabulous. In this instance, I prefer coin 1. Even though it has what appear to be adjustment marks on the reverse, the reverse strike is much fuller. Both have some luster, and the toning is very attractive on the second coin (spotting aside). The discolored rub on obverse of the first coin is a little distracting, but coin two has more obverse wear. It is just hidden better by the toning.

Coin one, but very close.

Both coins look very nice to my eye, but I'd have to say I prefer Coin #1. I find its boldness of strike very appealing. 1803's especially B-5, BB-252 Small 3 (coin #1) and B-6, BB-255 Large 3 (coin #2) generally come with poor central striking, with resulting weak hair detail. This coin is a notable exception!

The second coin shows the typical weakness of strike common to the date.

--Cardinal

from the scan and this is a guesstimate as i would need to see both coins in person to say for sure

but both coins are not original but do have excellent eye appeal

i like the first one better as it has better lustre and STRIKE!!

sincerely michael

the first one does has an original look to it even though it is not original

I have a very hard time choosing between the two coins. As expected, Cardinal recognized the nuances of the two coins the best.

Folks, let me say that some people can build a high-grade set because they have money and still not really know their coins. Cardinal is a true numismatist of this series, and he happens also to have enough financial strength to put together an awesome set as well!

I have the advantage of being able to see the two coins in person. I love 'em both. I find the BB-255 specimen to have more of an original look, but has roughly typical strike. My BB-252, however, is my first love. I got lucky with it and won it at a major auction for greysheet money 4+ years ago.

Both coins came out of B&M auctions. Both are totally lustrous, with really nice cartwheels. BB-252 is very frosty, while BB-255 has more of a satiny to PL appeal.

There was a thread not too long ago on one of the message boards that discussed an ED. I said that I didn't care for it because it didn't have enough luster for me. I was determined to acquire Large Eagle ED's with luster commensurate with its grade. This objective is unbelievably difficult to achieve! Dollarmike recently acquired an AU LE specimen that I desperately hoped he would pass on. (I advised him to buy it, but also told him to allow me to buy it if he decided to pass.)

I am convinced that the technology was sufficient for me to be able to acquire appropriately lustrous specimens of the LE-rev type.

I asked you guys to choose between the two, but it's not really fair. I am unable to choose between the two. If I had to select a "box of 20 untouchables" from my collection, both of these specimens would be amongst the twenty.

I think one of the points I am trying to convey to everyone is that LUSTER IS KING!!! Yes, even with this type... Do not buy EF+ specimens without luster.

Michael always talks about skin, skin, skin. He is correct, btw. These two coins have incredible skin -- that's how they can still have incredible cartwheels!

EVP