• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

question about selling......should I cross? would you?

10 posts in this topic

I have 2 VERY nice doubled die lincs that I think are properly graded if not undergraded by a point by ANACS. I have had them for several years and I submitted them after searching for quite a time for them both not to have that bubbly orange peel look to them.

I am considering selling them on ebay and was wondering if it would be worth it to bust em out and send to NGC first? Also, what kind of money do these bring in MS65RED, the ANACS grade.

I know it's impossible to grade from pics but here are 2.

1983.jpg

1984.jpg

wild as in nice or what??

the bubbling on that is Very minor to most I have seen. The 84 looks extremely nice to me and I had a very hard time finding that one bubble free! grin.gif

I would cross.....PCGS would bring more money....but NGC should do better than ANACS.....just not sure if they will bring prices that make them worth the time and money to cross? I don't know what they are going for, but they look like nice examples.

No! You should have no problems selling those coins to a true collector who will appreciate the quality! Just stick to your prices, if someone really wants them or either one, they'll let you know. What you don't want to do is sell yourself short and end up selling to someone who will cross the coins themselves to sell for a higher price. You can avoid that by understanding that you have two high quality coins. Set your prices high, if someone wants them, then you could negociate a fair price.

Leo

Just checked TT and no 1983 or 1984 non DDO cent has been auctioned in around two years.

On EBAY I found nothing.

Check the both years for DDO because if they are jackpot headbang.gif

Also according to the NGC guide to grading moderns the bubbling on that 1983 MIGHT impact the grade by a point but it has to be severe.

Here is the pop report for all the 1983 red cents. All graded fall between ms63-ms68

8xqvit.gif

Here is the pop report for the 1984 red cents. All graded fall between ms63-ms68

8xqvrp.gif

PLEASE NOTE BOTH POP FIGURES ARE FOR NON DDO COINS!

In the end I can't give a sufficent answer as the data I find is either outdated or useless.

In the end you will have to make the decision not us.

JMHO not worth it because there is little demand for this coin. At least not enought to warrant the money to cross it.

If I've heard it once, I've heard (or read) it a thousand times from knowledgeable collectors: "Buy the coin, not the plastic." There's no reason to cross unless collectors don't follow their own advice. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If I've heard it once, I've heard (or read) it a thousand times from knowledgeable collectors: "Buy the coin, not the plastic." There's no reason to cross unless collectors don't follow their own advice. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I disagree. I personally usually avoid ANACS because of their policy to net grade. I think to myself, "If someone went to the trouble to submit a coin to a TPGS, then why send it to ANACS unless there was a problem with it?" I would not crack it, though. If it doesn't cross then I'd sell it in the ANACS holder but I would give it one shot to cross.

I disagree. I personally usually avoid ANACS because of their policy to net grade. I think to myself, "If someone went to the trouble to submit a coin to a TPGS, then why send it to ANACS unless there was a problem with it?" I would not crack it, though. If it doesn't cross then I'd sell it in the ANACS holder but I would give it one shot to cross.

I'm not sure that we're in disagreement since I didn't offer a recommendation to either cross or not; I only pointed out that the phrase "buy the coin, not the plastic" has become a hollow platitude. The coin itself -- and its value -- shouldn't change because of the plastic in which it's encased.

I believe that ANACS has a decent reputation for varieties, and I've seen a couple of horribly incorrect variety attributions on NGC inserts. It seems to me that the 2 cents that goose3 might sell will appeal most to collectors of varieties; and, in my experience, variety collectors will be perfectly happy with ANACS slabs. OK, now we disagree. thumbsup2.gif

I'm not sure that we're in disagreement since I didn't offer a recommendation to either cross or not; I only pointed out that the phrase "buy the coin, not the plastic" has become a hollow platitude. The coin itself -- and its value -- shouldn't change because of the plastic in which it's encased.

I believe that ANACS has a decent reputation for varieties, and I've seen a couple of horribly incorrect variety attributions on NGC inserts. It seems to me that the 2 cents that goose3 might sell will appeal most to collectors of varieties; and, in my experience, variety collectors will be perfectly happy with ANACS slabs. OK, now we disagree.

foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif

grin.gif ............NEVERMIND............ grin.gif