• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you've finished a series, or decided to move on to new ones--which ones ??

6 posts in this topic

Okay, anybody here A) complete a series and want to move on to something different, or B) get tired of going for scarce and pricey dates, and decide to diversify??

I will go first: After spending over 20 years going for, and completing the Morgan set, I have decided to now concentrate on Bust Haves, and Quarters. With all of the variants, I don't know if it is even practical to contemplate going for an entire date set, but am seriously considering the attempt to go for at least a majority of obtainable dates.

So, what are other people doing in this regard????

Yep. I have completed one cheap series, about 80% through another, 70% on another, and 30% on another. After I finish off those nearly complete (it'll be cheap to do for the most part), I'll just mosey on and continue doing what I've found more entertaining for me: collecting the best I can afford that's eye appealng to me regardless of date/mint/country/etc.

For my three Wheat cent sets, I've purchased bag after bag of 5000 unsearched wheats from the local shop and pull the best of what I can from there, fill in the holes to complete the initial set, and now try to upgrade set one as I find the coins to do so. Any upgraded coin from set 1 goes into set 2... set 2 then goes to set 3, set 3 into a 2x2 or bulk storage based on the book value of the coin.

Of course this is also while upgrading my Type Set (and waiting for Intercept Shield to come out with a Type Set album to replace my Dansco one) and working on others.

So for me, a set is never really "done and put aside", I'm always replacing and upgrading as I can... I just do so many sets here and there that if I get bored of one, I can set it down for a bit to work on another.

Yep,

Currently working of early PR Washingtons. Grade isn't as relevant as light color and some obverse cameo. Pre-51 is tough going and pricey. Slowly I collect. wink.gif

I continue to work on my album sets.

Wow! Pretty cool accomplishment to complete a Morgan set! smile.gif I work on everything and nothing at the same time. Since I only go after what I consider to be a superb coin it allows me to buy any series or era that is available. Of course, that's a potentially very wide net but I have it narrowed down to a few major areas.