• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need Top 100 VAM advice on 1000-coin lot

8 posts in this topic

I will be purchasing about 1000 Morgan and Peace dollars from a estate hoard this evening. The coins were collected during the mid to late-30's at a general store from the cash register. Upon initial viewing of the collection, all of the coins I looked at appeared to be completely original and of all grades (except BU). To be honest, many times when I've seen Morgan and Peace dollars, they've been tampered with somehow, lightly cleaned, etc, but not these....all are 100% original.

The lot will be flipped pretty fast to another dealer for a small profit. However, before the lot is flipped, which particular dates and mints should be paid particular attention to? That is, which coins are no-brainer higher premium coins that should be pulled from the lot? As an example, one that the seller already knows about, is the Hot Lips VAM. We won't have much time to examine the lot before flipping it, but all the coins have been separated by year. If it requires high power to detect the VAM, my guess is it's probably not worth it, but please tell me if I'm wrong. By the way, all the CC's appear to have been accounted for by the seller and pulled out of the lot...they're not for sale. I've already seen them and there was nothing spectacular amongst them. In fact, all but one of them had obvious rim dings which I thought was a bit strange.

Bruce

Try the Top 100 VAM CDRom available at www.brent-krueger.com. It has pictures that you can enlarge. You will need a loupe, so order one of those too. My guess is that 1000 will take you at least a week to go through. It will be worth it if you find some good ones. Otherwise, just forget it and sell them for the slight profit.

Jonathan

You have got to be kidding! I have to use a 10x glass at the min. to spot VAM's. and a 20x Hastings for RPM's, OMM's, and the doubled, tripled, and sextupled, stars, and the doubled dates! There are many the are worth saving even in circulated grades. There is the Top 100, Hot 50, 8TF, 7/8TF, '78 B1 rev, 1879S rev '78, 1900-o/cc, '83 sextupled stars.

Where do you want to start?

My understanding is that the only VAM's that go for any real premium are the ones that are essentially the Hot 50 and/or obvious VAM's, those that don't need magnification like the Hot Lips VAM. There's a number of strongly doubled coins, die breaks, and micro-O's that are evidently in demand. These are the coins that would be fairly easy to pull from a large lot. I received a relatively detailed response on the PCGS boards that was pretty cool in this regard. We don't have a lot of time before selling off the lot, so the more obvious and higher the premium the better.

We ended up finding only two major die break varieties - 1922 die break in hair and 1923 die break over jaw. Nothing else stood out as interesting variety-wise. I guess it's conceivable I could have missed a micro-O but not too likely. Due to time constraints we had to only look for the obvious. We'll leave the rest to be searched more carefully by other collectors down the line. Hey, we couldn't take all the fun out of it, could we!?!?

I would still need a 10x glass to see the 1901 DDR and the '03 micro mint mark. ON smaller coins I have to use a 20x glass to look at mint marks! frown.gif