• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

do you like proof red? redbrown? brown? indian cents.......why?

13 posts in this topic

comments?

for mee i like the deeply mirrored proofs which most all are!

monster toned in red brown or even brown as long as the great color and technical surface qualities are there

then too me worth as much or more than their proof full red counterparts

now dont get me wrong REAL proof red fully red indian cents with superb technical aspects to the coin is also just as desirable for me but unfortuntaely most suppsosedly full red proof indians are not really full red! lots are ugly AND MANY full red have poor techincal aspects even though many even the "expects" consider them gem!

sincerely michael

NOW MORE IMPORTANTLY WHAT DO YOU THINK?

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

131531-99pfrb65.jpg.e442fc242c9a1645e7786c61d6b9c8c5.jpg

Michael,

To me, the color is irrelevent. I would enjoy a super original BN PF just as much as I would enjoy an original RD specimen. It's the "texture" that I look for -- the way light swims on the surface of the coin -- that excites me. Whether the "ocean" is chocolate or bright orange is immaterial to me.

EVP

I'm not a copper fan. However, if I did collect them, I'd go after "picky red". Lots of the coins listed as red just don't do it for me. It's got to be a certain shade of red. I don't like dark red or really light red (orange looking). I can't really describe it, but I know it when I see it.

I like a good mixture of red, blue, and purple indian cents! Whenever they do show up. I don't have any pf IHCs but wouldn't mind getting some one day.

For me, it has always been the red/brown proofs!!! I really enjoy the way the light shimmers across their surfaces, and the colors play with that light...!!! Like you folks, the 'reds' have too much leeway-- darker, lighter, somewhere in between

each other... the red/browns have more character to them, and-- in my mind-- far more 'class'...!!! Some of the 'darker' R/B proofs allow the toning to really stand out and glisten!!! smile.gif

I like red/brown proof examples. Mint state too! Real nice quality red coins are just too expensive for me, and too hard to find. I like the mix of colors that can be found on a red/brown coin.

Even if I could afford full red examples, I don't think I'd bite on 'em. A nice cameo though........ smile.gif

I'm with you Michael.

RB or BN with excellent colors.

I'm not a huge fan of copper either. I like it but am easily distracted by spots.

Anything with cameo looks better to me!

I will search the Santa Clara show next week for matte proof Lincolns. I would like to find a reasonably priced coin that has neat color. I imagine it would be in a PR 64 RB or 65 BN holder.

I am NOT a fan of red copper at all. The stuff is just too unstable. You can pay a lot of money for it, and if it grows an ugly spot you are DEAD. Many red pieces have been "enhanced" to bring up the color. Such coins are often more vulnerable bad spotting and eventual retoning, which will lower the value of your investment. To me red copper is an overrated pleasure.

I think that red/brown or a very rich solid brown are much preferable. The surfaces and color are far more stable, and those who know copper can appreciate just as much. It's also a lot less expensive. I've been buying some very nice brown copper of late. One can really come to appreciate such pieces when they display full mint luster under the toning.

my copper rangers from AG black to PR red.and from 1857 FEs to 02 Lincoln PRs layed out its a beauitful cent set with ever copper color you can imagine. but My favorite color is the gold colored 60-64 ihc variety 2 copper/nickel.

wow all great responses

i learned alot and all the responses that talked about the proof red coins especially so bill jones comments sum them up very well

sincerely michael

I own very few RD copper pieces, in fact, I own none! shocked.gif I do have many pieces that are either RB or BN and these encompass both PF and MS coins. I prefer the RB and BN coins that have earned the designation through accumulation of wonderful, even color and not through spotting or "browning".

The tremendous, mossy blue that PF coins can obtain is fabulous and serves to make the surfaces look alive and pulsing. A beautiful, subdued cherry on an RB MS piece can make the coin look like it has miles of depth to the fields and the orange peel look from fresh dies accentuates this effect. Also, the RB PF look of lime green with pink, red or purple is a dazzling look.

132141-CIH91NGCPF65BN.jpg.31d049be638062839aee5587f7b3e9fe.jpg

Lack of spotting and beaming lustre are the keys for me with copper. I recently bought my first excellent large cent. It was an 1827 AU condition cent that was nearly perfectly chocolate brown with amazing lustre - it simply shimmered. That's the key to copper for me.

Hoot