• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crossover Results

16 posts in this topic

Yeah, I know. I'm a person who doesn't care to see submission results posted to the forums, but I thought this was interesting.

Anyone who has tried to submit crossovers to that other company knows that they appear to play politics and have quotas.

I've long felt that my coins got a fair shot at NGC. Over time, all the coins I felt should cross did, and those that I felt wouldn't didn't.

Well, I had a few invoices finished today and I'm happier than ever with NGC. I had 6 coins in for crossover.

A Rhode Island (with rainbow toning) went from an undergraded P*GS MS64 to an MS65. I knew this would go MS65, but I held out hope for a * designation.

A proof Franklin (1956 T-1) that was an SEGS PR65 Obv Cameo is now an NGC PF66*.

A Roanoke that was a P*GS MS66 is now an NGC MS66. I thought this coin has a shot at MS67.

A (new gold label) PCI Kennedy with freaky toning crossed at AU58. I submitted it to authenticate the toning.

A 1576 Netherlands Lion Daaler crossed from ANACS at EF40.

A 1672 Austrian 3Kr went from an SEGS MS60 to NGC MS62. I thought this could go higher, but the reverse looked like it was bumpy from salt water, but I know nothing about them so I really didn't know.

So I went 6/6 on crossovers with 3/6 upgrading. Could I have done that with the other service? Hell no. Did NGC overgrade any of the coins. Nope. In fact, I think they were conservative on two of them.

I'm currently awaiting the result of a crossover myself on a couple $20 Saints... one an old style PCI graded 1925 at AU-55 and the other an MS-63 1924 (by P#GS) that looks better than 64s I saw sitting right beside it at the place I purchased it. The 1924 looks like it will go 65 or better, so I have my fingers crossed.

So far I've been pleased with my dealings with NGC. I took the ANA correspondance courses and my mentor is an NGC employee who has been excellent at helping out or getting me in touch with somone who can.

Congratulations. I don't know what goes on in PCGS' head. There must be insider grading or something going on. If you take some PCGS coins that you have submitted and compare them with other ones from large submitting dealers, you wonder why your grade is lower and your coin is just as nice or even better!! Whereas, NGC seems to grade fairly among personal submitters and large dealers.

If you take some PCGS coins that you have submitted and compare them with other ones from large submitting dealers, you wonder why your grade is lower and your coin is just as nice or even better!! Whereas, NGC seems to grade fairly among personal submitters and large dealers.

I don't know about coins from large submitters, and I've heard all the banter about moving grading standards, but I did grow weary of submitting coins that compared very favorably to the low-end for the grade coins that were purchased at auction, only to see mine graded more harshly. The NGC grades I receive are more consistent with coins I purchase in their holder.

Congrats on the invoice Greg.

That's good to see. I have one personal experience where there had to be politics involved on the coin that was submitted and another where I believe incompetance ruled the day. I'll save those stories.

I have only crossed a couple of coins with NGC, but I have been more than pleased. NGC grading comes closer to matching my on opinion on a coins grade. The few coins I have sent to PCGS all came back with a lower grade than I expected. I am sure I will cross these to NGC.

Yeah, you're all rosey red and peachy keen now, but they did it. They sucked you right in. You'll go 0'fer on your next three crossover invoices. wink.gif Guaranteed. laugh.gif

*I went 2 for 3 on crackouts and upgrades on my last submission. I did get a bag though. A very unexpected bag. The rest slabbed approximately as expected.

I have one personal experience where there had to be politics involved on the coin that was submitted and another where I believe incompetance ruled the day. I'll save those stories.

I'd love to hear those stories. Maybe you could email them to me at Submissions@PCGSsucks.com?

BTW, anyone else have stories about how PCGS sucks, feel free to send them to me at Submissions@PCGSsucks.com.

well, this is somewhat encouraging, especially since i am planning to submit about 15 crossovers with my first submission. At least with NGC, i don't come into it with the expectation of going 0-fer!

Heyas John

Glad to talk to ya finally on the phone this week. Thanks for all the help, there and elsewhere.

Found the message board a couple nights ago looking around and it looked good, so here I am.

Dermott is my current (and well known in some online circles) online handle and Matt my real name. Feel free to use either one smile.gif

And yes, I'm counting down the days till the Saints come back with fingers crossed.

I wont crack anything out. That way I don't have to worry, if it don't cross I get it back with no harm done...

Agreed there. I talked to John on via phone before sending mine in... I'd rather let the experts do the switching slabs, my luck in trying it would end up with a nice big set of gouges on the coin... not good when dealing with Saints.