• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newbie Looking for Indian head grading guide

14 posts in this topic

I'm fairly new at the coin collecting game (under 2years), and have read as much as I could find on large coins. As most people I know who started Halves and Dollar coins appeal to the eye first. But I'm finding my eye drawn to smaller coins recently. Can any of you give me references to books, or websites that would aide me in the grading of seated dimes and Indian head pennies as I have formed a fetish for them recently. I could just start picking up books, but I hoped you could give me an idea of the better references to look into. Thanks, for the information I have been lurking for awhile but just decided to open my mouth recently.

Any help would be great. Thanks ahead of time.

If you're collecting circulated coins, both Photograde and the ANA Grading Guide have good pictures and descriptions of grades for all US coins.

As for a specialized book on Liberty Seated dimes, Brian Greer's The Complete Guide to Liberty Seated Dimes has a good grading guide and good info on each date and mintmark.

Thanks for the info. I'm planning on working with au+ Indian cents and working on the dimes as a secondary project. Doing both slowly and learning as I go. Fortunately I have a friend locally who has been great at teaching me things and most importantly telling me what to look for when someone is trying to screw me.

thanks

Welcome Aboard Me, Atlantic and MIKEinFL. The IHC is a beautiful series with lots of colorful history and interesting varieties. thumbsup2.gif Sounds like your off to a great start and keep us informed on how it goes.

Type: "Gerry Fortin, Liberty Seated Dime Varieties" into Google, then join that site if you want information on all the varieties and die pairs of SL Dimes.

Type: "Gerry Fortin, Liberty Seated Dime Varieties" into Google, then join that site if you want information on all the varieties and die pairs of SL Dimes.

There you are, Charlie, I was just wondering about you a couple of days ago. Glad to see that you're still kickin'!!

crazy.gif

Hi Victor: I am fine. I just was having computer problems and finally bought a new machine last week. The old HP was a cheaply made piece of junk that crashed about once a week. Also, I sold several coin sets recently and have been pretty quite since.

Hope that you doing well.

I was actually kind of worried about you and was relieved to see you post.

I'm well, just very tired. I've had 3 hours sleep in 40 hours because of some off-road race going on here. Everytime I get home, I'm called in less than an hour later for multiple MVA's, but life is good. My daughter is here with me for the summer again and she actually got hired here. Cool for her and she is a great worker and is very well liked. She was a big help to me today with the paperwork. Remember, she's 15 now.

Let's see if I can post her photo...

Nope, if anyone can open the attachment then please post the image but it just comes up as scrambled goobly-gook on my computer. Thanks and take care Charlie.

My oldest grandaughter just turned 16 y.o. in May. About the same age as your daughter. My how time flies! Glad that your daughter got to spend time with you this summer.

I've been working the past few days, and have been away. I get back and look what I see more answers. Thanks for the Information guys, I will take some time off work tomorrow, and see what you have left for me. Thanks for all the help. I was worried I wouldn't get much help on this, You guys rock. I'll try posting pics of my purchase over the weekend when I get a chance tomorrow.

grin.gif