• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would anyone be able to give me an estimate on this?
1 1

3 posts in this topic

I need to insure my collection for insurance purposes. I took it to a coin dealer who tried to lowball me I feel because he wanted to buy it. He said its worth around $5000 (excluding the saint)

image.thumb.jpeg.cdf74f53afa0fa4c8595d84b516790e5.jpegPXL_20240927_124905931_MP.thumb.jpg.2a198c1ede2f498fe06b54717ef96539.jpgPXL_20240927_124913825.MP(1).thumb.jpg.1725633e46c38a3aa6f0f550899aea95.jpg

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

The NGC Registry forum is for topics related to the NGC certified coin registry. Your topic would receive more attention on the "U.S., World, and Ancient Coins" forum, to which the Administrator will likely move it.

As, except for the 1924 double eagle (currently worth around $3,000 retail due to its gold content), this collection consists largely of ancient and older world coins, it would require some expertise in these areas, as well as time spent researching them, to appraise them. Did you offer to pay the dealer to whom you took them for his time and make it clear that you were not interested in selling them?

I recommend that you find a reputable dealer who specializes in these areas and pay for a written appraisal that would support any insurance claim. You can check for a Professional Numismatists Guild member in your area at https://www.pngdealers.org/af_memberDirectory_Custom.asp or check the NGC dealer directory at Find Coin Shops & Dealers | Coin Dealer Locator | NGC (ngccoin.com).

@Ali E.--Respectfully, I don't think that this topic should have been moved to the "Coin Marketplace" forum, as that forum is supposed to be for offers to buy or sell coins, not requests for appraisals.

Edited by Sandon