• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sacagawea Dollar... A Rare Coin?
1 1

5 posts in this topic

From the internet, the most ridiculous statement I have ever seen made in reference to a coin series...

"In many respects, the Sacagawea dollar is a rare coin..."

How, the reader, may ask is the Sacagawea dollar rare? Due to any number of possible varieties or errors?  No.  Wrong alloy? Planchet? Nope!

MINTAGE!

"... the Sacagawea dollar coin [besides featuring a woman] is also rare because of its scarcity."

I was not aware "the Sac" was considered to be rare or scarce, but I digress...

Here is the assertion I take issue with:

Only 71 BILLION Sacagawea coins have been minted, and this is far fewer than other coins.  (Emphasis mine.)

Editorial comment...  There are seven (7) members on this Forum whose opinion (in my opinion) carries considerable weight.  I may not always agree with them, but their opinion carries weight.  I defer to them.  It may not always seem like I do, but I do.

If any of these tried and true combatants were to indicate that there is nothing wrong with the assertion regarding mintage as quoted above, I shall resign my commission immediately, i.e., hang up my boxing gloves and exit the ring.

I realize everything is relative and that what may constitute rarity or scarcity in one series may not be true in another. I am also aware there is something we collectors call condition scarcity or certification scarcity.  I also accept the fact that despite large mintage runs, only a fraction of examples have survived.  But 71 billion -- not million, but BILLION?   (Note:  the world's population at present is 8.3 billion: that 71 billion by analogy represents 9 Sacs were minted for every man, woman and child living in the world today!)

If I am neglecting something, or things in the hobby have changed, let me know and I shall silence my voice and exit the Forum, forthwith.

Henri, here is a very rare 2000 Chocolate Brown Sac this is a one-of-a-kind coin. I would be willing to trade this for one of your French Roosters of similar quality.

2000 Sac.jpg

2000 Sac Reverse.jpg

On 9/26/2024 at 5:27 PM, J P M said:

Henri, here is a very rare 2000 Chocolate Brown Sac this is a one-of-a-kind coin. I would be willing to trade this for one of your French Roosters of similar quality.

2000 Sac.jpg

2000 Sac Reverse.jpg

🐓:  Uh-uh!  Tell him to have it certified first, Q!

Q.A.:  Not necessary. J P's heart is in the right place. Last I checked, the gold Rooster dated 1900, the rarest in the series with just over a half- million minted, proved so difficult to acquire for the top Set Registrant here, that he apparently approached mgmt. and persuaded them to remove the slot for that date in his set! I guess he tired of that stop-gapped space in his toothy Mint State smile. No hole to worry about filling if there is no slot there. Unprecedented!

Malheureusement, while gold Roosters have been certified in sub-Mint State grades, I have never seen one, and do not have one.  At present, Fr20FrGR melt is knocking on $500's door.