• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Camouflage Lincoln?
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Hello all,, at first this was the ugliest coin I've seen bit it's grown on me a bit.

My question is what happened to it? It has all of the features bit it's coloration really dose acr like camouflage in a way.it doesn't look like a stain it still has a shine believe it or not. The mint mark is truly just a dot.can anyone help to explain? Thank you all for your time and consideration 

20240925_083505.jpg

20240925_083357.jpg

20240925_083347.jpg

20240925_083224.jpg

20240925_083209.jpg

20240925_083019.jpg

We would need sharper images to provide an informed response. Those provided are too pixilated to see anything clearly. Generally speaking, copper is a highly reactive metal that turns a variety of colors when exposed to environmental chemicals, including the oils in people's skin. That is why you should not hold a coin you want to collect in your bare hands, except by its edges if you must.

Not sure what type of camera you are using but as Sandon stated, pictures are way too pixilated.   
We have to be able to see the detail.  Taking a guess from your statement, that is not a small mintmark,   
but is damage of some sort. That cent has no mint mark. The discolouration is probably caused from    
environmental toning. Copper can change many colours once exposed to the elements.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

First off, laying a coin on your bare skin is not something you should do and even more so when it comes to a coin that has any potential value. Always handle a coin by its edges if you must handle the coin at all.

Second, I agree with the others and your pics are not clear enough to give a proper assessment of the conditions found on your coin. That said, reading what you have posted about this coin, I would ascertain that the coin is a (P) or not having a mintmark from the Mint but rather took a hit that made a tiny pile of metal in the area where a mintmark would be but is not actually a mintmark. I would also want to say that the "camouflage" look you are referring to is nothing more than environmental damage.

Please provide photos that are clear if you disagree with this assessment so the surface conditions can be properly identified.