• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question
1 1

6 posts in this topic

So I recently started collecting coins I inherited some and when I started looking I fell in love so I found this dime it’s not been graded or anything but she had it tucked away so I’m assuming it had to be worth something so here it is if anyone has any info I would be greatful 

IMG_1816.jpeg

IMG_1765.jpeg

IMG_1760.jpeg

IMG_1756.jpeg

IMG_1758.jpeg

IMG_1755.jpeg

On 9/24/2024 at 2:47 PM, Misty6969 said:

So I recently started collecting coins I inherited some and when I started looking I fell in love so I found this dime it’s not been graded or anything but she had it tucked away so I’m assuming it had to be worth something so here it is if anyone has any info I would be greatful 

IMG_1756.jpeg

I have no idea who "she" is or why she had it tucked away but the coin was damaged once it left the mint, what we call post mint damage (PMD).   People save and hold onto lots of things for no other reason than they can or because they like it.    Nothing wrong if you want to continue to hold onto it for sentimental reasons, but the coin is not an error and has no value over the face value of 10 cents.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Thank you for providing us some decent photos and closeups here of your question coin! (thumbsu

While we would look at this dime for a potential error, and I have done this, at first glance we would begin to think this has a strike through error (s) on it, but I can see some metal piled around the edge of the "craters" in this dime. That tells me those got there by something impacting the surface of the coin. Seeing the level of circulation this coin has, and seeing other circulation marks on it, the assessment of this dime is that it has suffered damage after it left the mint.

People save coins because they look "different" but they don't always understand what it is they are looking at. Many relate "different" to valuable which is not always the case and usually is in fact mostly not going to be the case. The percentage of true error coins to the entirety of coins that have been minted since the US Mint was established is a very low percentage, probably less than 1% of the total.

I would avail yourself of the learning resources mentioned above if you are interested in continuing in the hobby, and as always, we are here to be asked any questions you many have.