• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alloy mix error?? Stumped 2019 W
1 1

9 posts in this topic

On 9/24/2024 at 1:38 PM, Goldenflowers said:

Hi, I’m stumped what is imprinted near year on front of nickel and looks like a large die crack on reverse. Any opinions or know what imprint is on front?  
thanks in advance!

sherry

Please look at your coin again, then re-post after you get your question straightened out.

Transference of newsprint or die on front, no die crack evident on reverse.

Coins should be held by the edge with two fingers to avoid inadvertent contact with human perspiration and oils. Nothing wrong with laying coin down on a clean surface.

This is not a nickel but is a quarter.

I see nothing wrong with the alloy used to make this quarter as I see some of its normal surface in the areas not affected. It was stained by something. It is possible this was laying flat on a surface with the obverse face up and something else was laying on top of this quarter and the stained parts were not covered exposing the rest of the surface to whatever caused the stain as I don't see any of this effect on the reverse of the quarter.

The only significant thing I can see about your coin is that it is a "W" mint 2019 San Antonio quarter, one of only 2 million minted and worth keeping for that reason.

The streak on the obverse is discoloration that occurred from exposure to corrosive substances in the environment as it circulated. These substances include the oils and dirt on people's skin, which is why you should never hold a coin that you want to collect in your bare hands as you are doing in your images, except by its edges if you must. 

I can see no die cracks on either side of this coin. Where do you see it?

On 9/24/2024 at 3:53 PM, Sandon said:

The only significant thing I can see about your coin is that it is a "W" mint 2019 San Antonio quarter, one of only 2 million minted and worth keeping for that reason.

The streak on the obverse is discoloration that occurred from exposure to corrosive substances in the environment as it circulated. These substances include the oils and dirt on people's skin, which is why you should never hold a coin that you want to collect in your bare hands as you are doing in your images, except by its edges if you must. 

It’s parroting a word they read or heard without knowing what it means. 

On 9/24/2024 at 3:53 PM, Sandon said:

I think maybe the OP is referring to the crescent shape next to the 2 of the date numerals and running into the field of the reverse which looks like damage from a gouge to me. If I am wrong, the OP can correct me here.

WelcomeSherry.  I don't see die cracks, and it looks like your quarter has come environmental damage that gave it that yellowish toning.  Since the quarter has a W mint mark, I would save it.  It is likely worth a little more than face value, but you will likely not be able to sell it.  Generally speaking, when collectors BUY coins... they are looking for nice examples.  Yours is an example, but not a "nice" one.  However, when FINDING coins in change, most collectors would keep the example you found.  There is no downside to keeping the coin, as it's always worth at least $0.25.

I realize this is probably disappointing.  But, at least you found a more desirable mint mark... hope you are having fun with it.

Neo