• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is my dime worth having graded
1 1

8 posts in this topic

This is not a dime, but is a nickel.

Being I see some extra lettering on the obverse, and the severe and ugly damage present on both sides of this nickel, I think you have a partial vise job in which this nickel was squeezed partially next to another coin in a bench vise. I am not sure what the other coin was that was pressed up against this nickel as there is not enough of the design showing for me to tell. Everything I see here is severe damage. The coin is still worth face value and I would divest myself of it and find a merchant who will accept it as payment.

Edited by powermad5000

Even if your 2004-P Lewis & Clark nickel were a mint error, it wouldn't do you much good to submit it to a third-party grading service just for grading. You would have to request an error attribution and pay an additional fee ($18 at NGC, plus the $19 "Modern" tier grading fee, $10 per order processing fee, minimum $28 per order return shipping fee, your own shipping costs, and annual membership fee).  The grading service keeps your money without regard to its findings.

Before you submit coins to a grading service, it is quite important that you have a good understanding of how to grade, attribute and otherwise evaluate coins. A coin worth less than several hundred dollars isn't worth submitting from a financial standpoint. It is highly unlikely that a coin you would receive in change or find in random accumulations of modern coins would have anything approaching such value. 

From what print and online resources are you getting your information about coins?

Die cracks are always raised, not sunken into the surface of the coin, and are much thinner than the huge post-mint gash on your nickel. FYI, here is what a typical die crack look like on a coin, in this case the thin, raised line running from the upper to lower reverse ("S" in PLURIBUS to final "S" in STATES) of this 1942-S wartime five cent piece:

1942-Snickelrev..thumb.jpg.275ec3f59fbed0299dbabb45fa1a78f6.jpg