• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1995 penny no mint mark wide am +
1 1

19 posts in this topic

I have a 1995 penny no mint mark and I believe it’s DDO,DDR and wide AM, I have that coin since 2021 and I wonder if I am right about the coin errors and for that matter I need y’all help and every advice and recommendations are very welcome and appreciated and if is possible to give me and idea on the possible grade of the coin (just an idea or possibility) it will go to be graded by PCGS where I have been sending coins to be graded I will post pictures.

thank you in advance for your help!

IMG_1473.jpeg

On 9/19/2024 at 1:51 PM, Huitzilopochtli said:

I have a 1995 penny no mint mark and I believe it’s DDO,DDR and wide AM, I have that coin since 2021 and I wonder if I am right about the coin errors and for that matter I need y’all help and every advice and recommendations are very welcome and appreciated and if is possible to give me and idea on the possible grade of the coin (just an idea or possibility) it will go to be graded by PCGS where I have been sending coins to be graded I will post pictures.

thank you in advance for your help!

IMG_1473.jpeg

IMG_1470.jpeg

IMG_1472.jpeg

IMG_1469.jpeg

A. not a wide AM

B. not a DDO

C. not a DDR

D. Stained pocket change that has some worthless die deterioration and a touch of split plating; worth a grand total of one cent.   In other words, damaged pocket change, sending it for grading will be a waste of your money, but it's your money.   As you asked for a grade I would grade it AU details for the significant rim gouge on the rev between the ME of America.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 9/19/2024 at 12:35 PM, ThePhiladelphiaPenny said:

some blisters on the back of the coin (is that what split plating is?).

No those are just plating blisters that are very common on the zinc core cents.   Split plating happens when the coin is struck, the copper plating has to stretch as the coin is struck and the design and lettering are formed.   Often the plating fails and "splits" leaving the zinc core exposed which leaves a silver outline next to some area of the design or lettering/numbers.   I cannot say for sure but if you look at the lower leg of the second five that area has a silver shadow next to it.   That could be a lighting reflection, or it could be split plate, difficult to be 100% sure from the op's photo.

On 9/19/2024 at 4:17 PM, Coinbuf said:

No those are just plating blisters that are very common on the zinc core cents.   Split plating happens when the coin is struck, the copper plating has to stretch as the coin is struck and the design and lettering are formed.   Often the plating fails and "splits" leaving the zinc core exposed which leaves a silver outline next to some area of the design or lettering/numbers.   I cannot say for sure but if you look at the lower leg of the second five that area has a silver shadow next to it.   That could be a lighting reflection, or it could be split plate, difficult to be 100% sure from the op's photo.

Ok, thanks for the information. It's true, you do learn something new everyday. =) 

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I am always highly skeptical when someone says they have a coin with DDO and DDR on the same coin. I don't think I have ever seen a coin having both at the same time. In this case, I know why I was skeptical.

Lets start with the fact that you labeled DDO, DDR, and the AM all as errors. NONE of these conditions on coinage are errors. They would be varieties.

Next, your Wide AM. For the year 1995, for the P, D, and S mintmarks, there are no known varieties. Each mintmark had its own reverse condition without any other types discovered. The P and D were all struck as Close AM and the S were all struck as Wide AM. This tells me you need further education on how to tell the two types apart from each other.

As for your coin having the DDO condition. I also see some split plate doubling (not DDO) on the obverse as well as some plating blisters. I am unsure if it is just the photo, but the coin from the obverse looks "out of round" and I am not sure if that is rim damage or just the photography. Also, when it comes to your obverse photo, I thought it was scratched, but be advised I can see either your cat's or your dog's hairs in the photo which you should be careful to not have in the pic. I am also not sure if that is environmental damage as a stain or if that is damage on Abe's forehead.

For the reverse, I do not see any doubling whatsoever. I see some weakness in OF A in STATES OF AMERICA but that was a problem with the relief on the obverse being directly on the opposite side of the coin taking most of the metal from the strike leaving weakness in these letters. I see a larger area of environmental damage, and I see a rim ding.

Overall, the coin seems to have limited wear. I think it would grade as AU details, Rim Damage, Environmental Damage.

I really don't think you want to spend funds to have this coin professionally graded and slabbed. I am also fearful if this was on your list of coins for consideration for such grading what you may have submitted in the past. I think you should get a lot better at your self grading skills before you think of submitting any more coins to a TPG. Not trying to be mean, just trying to save you a bunch of money.

This is what lincolncentcollection.com says about wide and close AM: (my problem in identifying the wide and close AM is that some wide AMs are too wide as other ones in the case of the 1974 to 1978 the wide AMs don’t look really wide it looks like some close AMs like 2005 and 2007 pennies, I normally compare the wide and close AMs with PCGS pictures)

• 1959-1992 all business strikes and proofs are supposed to have a Wide AM
  • 1993 all business strikes and proofs have a Close AM
  • 1994-2008 all business strikes have a Close AM
  • 1994-2008 all proofs have a Wide AM
  • Another characteristic that is used to differentiate these rare coins from others of the same year is the distance of the reverse designers initials, FG, from the right side of the memorial. On Close AM cents the initials are farther away from the memorial than on the Wide AM cents. Also, there is a horizontal serif on the end of the straight vertical part of the G on the Wide AM cents.

IMG_1521.jpeg

IMG_1520.jpeg

@Huitzilopochtli many of the coins shown in your post are well worn circulated coins or coins struck from worn dies.   Worn coins or coins struck from worn dies do not have sharp details and things tend to be fuzzy or blend together.   Those conditions do not make those coins good candidates for trying to analyze fine details like you are trying.

I am here because I want to find rare coins I believe like everybody else and worn dies had struck one of the most valuable coins and next is from Google to me the best resource in the entire world for everything it makes me win according to the best lawyer in Denver Colorado and the director of a civil rights organization an impossible civil federal case against United States being pro se (no lawyer but only me) and I won two more case another federal case against Loreta lynch United States AG in Obama’s second term and my own divorce so google is good and here is the information:

Some of the most valuable coins struck from worn dies include: 

• 1870-S Indian Princess Head Gold $3 This coin is a mystery, as documents indicate that only one of these coins exists, but it appeared in a sale in 1911. Some believe the original coin never made it into the cornerstone, while others believe it's an undocumented duplicate
  • 1943 Copper Lincoln Penny 
    This coin is considered one of the most valuable error coins in the world. It's estimated that only a few dozen of these coins exist. The error occurred when copper planchets from the previous year were mistakenly used in the coining press, resulting in a small number of copper pennies being minted in 1943.
  • 1955 Doubled Die Lincoln Cent 
    This coin is known for its prominent doubling effect on the obverse, which causes the date and motto to appear twice. These coins can sell for tens of thousands of dollars. 
  • 1964 Accented Hair Kennedy Half Dollar 
    This coin is an "accented hair" error coin, which means that JFK's hair is more detailed than on standard Kennedy half dollars. Only about 1% to 3% of the original 1964 proof coins have this detail, making them worth hundreds at auction.
  • 1870-S Indian Princess Head Gold $3 This coin is a mystery, as documents indicate that only one of these coins exists, but it appeared in a sale in 1911. Some believe the original coin never made it into the cornerstone, while others believe it's an undocumented duplicate.

On 9/20/2024 at 12:29 PM, Huitzilopochtli said:

1994-2008 all business strikes have a Close AM

On 9/19/2024 at 1:51 PM, Huitzilopochtli said:

I have a 1995 penny no mint mark and I believe it’s DDO,DDR and wide AM,

This is your own contradiction when it comes to the AM.

As far as using internet resources to learn about coins, there is more MISinformation on the internet when it comes to numismatics than there is good information. Outside of sites like NGC, PCGS, ANA, ANACS, and the US Mint and US Treasury, there is a minefield of bad information just waiting for people to step on, and then it blows up and goes wild when it gets shared.

It may be helpful for you to read the following article by Jeff Garrett, a well renowned coin expert.

Jeff Garrett: Fake News and Misinformation in Numismatics

I was suspicious about this topic from the beginning, but now I'm sure that the topic author is not serious. A person claiming to have a coin exhibiting a previously unknown variety for its date, as well as both a doubled die obverse and doubled die reverse is likely either a novice collector who is a victim of internet misinformation about coins or one of the perpetrators of such misinformation. This topic author is likely in the latter category.

I don't think that the reverse shown in the initial two posts is that of a 1995 Lincoln cent at all but is that of a copper plated zinc cent from the 1982-86 era, which has a wide "AM" and weakly defined steps on the Lincoln Memorial. The weakness on the Memorial steps is typical for pieces going back to the late 1970s, and all Lincoln, Memorial reverse cents before 1992 apparently have spacing between the "A" and "M" that is wider than the pieces from 1992 on referred to as "close AM". Pieces from 1987 on, including 1995s, generally have strongly defined (separated) steps on the Memorial. (The plating blisters on the reverse identify it as copper plated zinc.) Note also how the 1995 obverse has different coloration and an overall different appearance from the reverse.

The topic authors last two posts, the first containing content that is inappropriate for this chat board--and apparently confusing Lincoln with Jefferson--and the latter, which confuses coins struck from "worn dies" from those that are legitimate die varieties or mint errors without regard to the usage of the dies that struck them, or in the case of the 1870-S $3 gold piece, the only known strike from new dies that then became worn itself by being used as jewelry, demonstrate his (or her) true colors.

I think the new member has some of the wrong information. There are only a few of these variations. Here is a simple chart the 92 and 99 are hard to find. I have the others, and they are only worth keeping just because I can. 

CAMWAM.jpg..jpg

Edited by J P M

On 9/21/2024 at 6:33 AM, J P M said:

I think the new member has some of the wrong information.

On 9/20/2024 at 12:29 PM, Huitzilopochtli said:
  • 1959-1992 all business strikes and proofs are supposed to have a Wide AM
  • 1993 all business strikes and proofs have a Close AM
  • 1994-2008 all business strikes have a Close AM
  • 1994-2008 all proofs have a Wide AM

If you read the wording as is @J P M he has the correct information. I am just not sure in his opening statement why he did not initially follow it.