• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

estate auction buy
1 1

16 posts in this topic

The halves are worth about $10 each = $110. The scrubbed Morgan is also worth bullion = $22. Total value = approx $132.00. You paid abut $40 to participate in the auction and handle the coins.

the owl bank is worth 15 dollars so 25 to play at the auction. Thanks for the help. I did not think I would win as these sell for way more usually. I think silver buying is starting to slow down.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

It seems you paid this money more as an investment in silver value than for numismatic value as these coins are mostly towards the low ball area numismatically. Next time, I would check my spot pricing before putting down any bid and know what your maximum is before placing said bid.

On 8/10/2024 at 4:25 PM, powermad5000 said:

Hello and welcome to the forum!

It seems you paid this money more as an investment in silver value than for numismatic value as these coins are mostly towards the low ball area numismatically. Next time, I would check my spot pricing before putting down any bid and know what your maximum is before placing said bid.

It's a shame Benjamin Franklin, one of only two non-Presidents to appear on currency -- the other was Salmon P. CHASE on the $10,000 bill. -- is now relagated to the "junk silver" pile in the low-ball arena.

On 8/10/2024 at 4:28 PM, Henri Charriere said:

It's a shame Benjamin Franklin, one of only two non-Presidents to appear on currency -- the other was Salmon P. CHASE on the $10,000 bill. -- is now relagated to the "junk silver" pile in the low-ball arena.

Wait just a dog gone minute, there, HC. Explain to me when Alexander Hamilton was President. 

On 8/10/2024 at 5:56 PM, VKurtB said:

Wait just a dog gone minute, there, HC. Explain to me when Alexander Hamilton was President. 

I don't get it.  I was ready to go down to Trinity Church at the foot of Wall Street to check out his headstone when I decided to find out what it's inscription read -- and discovered he was buried overseas. That's impossible! Never mind President, who's buried in the churchyard???  I had a picture of it once. Passed by it many times in the 1980's and again in the double-aughts.  I don't get it.

Fast face-saving edit few get right:

Who's buried in Grant's Tomb?

Edited by Henri Charriere
Additional content.

On 8/10/2024 at 9:04 PM, Henri Charriere said:

I don't get it.  I was ready to go down to Trinity Church at the foot of Wall Street to check out his headstone when I decided to find out what it's inscription read -- and discovered he was buried overseas. That's impossible! Never mind President, who's buried in the churchyard???  I had a picture of it once. Passed by it many times in the 1980's and again in the double-aughts.  I don't get it.

Fast face-saving edit few get right:

A $50 note?

On 8/10/2024 at 10:50 PM, VKurtB said:

A $50 note?

You are killing me, Kurt!  No, not a $50 note.  It all comes down to definition.  NO ONE IS BURIED IN GRANT'S TOMB!  On the other hand, both the President and his wife, Julia,' are entombed there in an above-ground pair of polished wood sarcophagi viewable from the atrium. In keeping with prevailing practice, there may be a nominal admission fee.

On 8/10/2024 at 10:04 PM, Henri Charriere said:

According to NY Mets fans of the 1960's.....M. Donald Grant. xD

On 8/10/2024 at 4:28 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Not quite. Just these Franklin halves. I have a nearly 80% complete set of Franklin halves in a minimum MS 64 FBL, some graded higher. Many of those in my collection are very nice specimens!

On 8/10/2024 at 9:30 AM, RWB said:

The halves are worth about $10 each = $110. The scrubbed Morgan is also worth bullion = $22. Total value = approx $132.00. You paid abut $40 to participate in the auction and handle the coins.

I’ve repeatedly admitted being a “condition snob” when it comes to post-Great Depression U.S. coins. If it ain’t in mint state condition, I don’t want it. For the 1920’s on back, we can compromise. 

Edited by VKurtB