• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How about this? Is this worth anything
1 1

22 posts in this topic

🐓  :  Any feelings about this one?  It's 42 years old.  It's got front-end damage on IGWT which has been worn down smooth.

Q.A.:  It's time-barred by the Statute of Limitations.  If the President is inclined to award it a reprieve, he may.  That's what Executive clemency is for.

But, if I may, I should like to ask the OP a question of my own; setting aside the matter of silver melt value, what should this coin be worth -- and why?

It appears to be a combination of wear and die fatigue. It looks like this die was used past the point of being able to produce clear lettering. Add to that several years of handling, and you get a motto that is almost impossible to make out, and a date with fat numerals.

Also, at this point, the master hub design had been in use since 1977, so it is possible that the same master hub had been in use for six years. If you compare the lettering on a 1977 quarter to that of a 1982, you can see a slight difference in the size and shape, showing that the master hub was wearing from use. That means that by 1982, the letters were never crisp and thin, even when the dies were new.

Based on the partial and indistinct photos, it does appear that this 1982-D quarter was struck from worn dies. The coin also appears to have a fair amount of wear. 1982 and 1983 quarters have some value in uncirculated grades due to the mint not selling uncirculated coin sets in those years but not when worn like this.

Try to post images that show each entire side of a coin, are cropped to show as little as possible of the surface surrounding the coin, and are taken from directly overhead, like these:

1937-Squarterobv..thumb.jpg.b86ca868e82f6c924232ea17e2376089.jpg

1937-Squarterrev..thumb.jpg.efae6a57aabfb60abea43d68456ae046.jpg

@Staci89 perhaps you can tell us why you are asking all these questions about value on the coins you have posted, what is it about these coins that you think they have a value greater than face value?   All I see is a well worn quarter worth 25 cents.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 8/9/2024 at 4:03 PM, Staci89 said:

In God We Trust looks like different than the rest

I can see how you might be curious about that lettering. After all, it definitely does look different from the other two coins. But, the posts above should explain why there is so much difference.

Well, three of the posts, anyway. Just ignore the first one.

In God We Trust looks like different than the rest

Your comparing coins from three different years. New dies are made every year and there can be slight changes from year to year. If you are comparing coins, make sure they are all the same year.

I'm not comparing coins all three or three different years and they all have in the writing somewhere messed up one of them has ridges on the top where it says Liberty and all three of them in God we trust looks like it was all one almost

On 8/9/2024 at 4:30 PM, Just Bob said:

It appears to be a combination of wear and die fatigue. It looks like this die was used past the point of being able to produce clear lettering. Add to that several years of handling, and you get a motto that is almost impossible to make out, and a date with fat numerals.

Also, at this point, the master hub design had been in use since 1977, so it is possible that the same master hub had been in use for six years. If you compare the lettering on a 1977 quarter to that of a 1982, you can see a slight difference in the size and shape, showing that the master hub was wearing from use. That means that by 1982, the letters were never crisp and thin, even when the dies were new.

Fine.  All well and good, but you didn't answered the OP's question.

On 8/9/2024 at 5:00 PM, Coinbuf said:

@Staci89 perhaps you can tell us why you are asking all these questions about value on the coins you have posted, what is it about these coins that you think they have a value greater than face value?   All I see is a well worn quarter worth 25 cents.

Too late, my friend,  @Just Bob just ordered the OP to ignore the first three posts which includes my own. And here you are, just as curious as I was, restating it. Sheesh!

Circulated quarters (and most other circulated coins) dated after 1964 are generally worth face value.  The motto often looks "mushy" due to worn or filled dies and does not the caused the coin to be worth a premium. In fact, most collectors seek out coins that are well struck from new dies, as well as the coin itself having no wear.

There it is.  

Pre-1965, silver melt value.

Post 1964, face value.

This of course does not include the 1937-S which stands in a class by itself with numismatic value.

Edited by Henri Charriere
Deletion of inapplicable content.

On 8/9/2024 at 3:26 PM, Henri Charriere said:

setting aside the matter of silver melt value

There is no silver melt value for any of the posted quarters. They are clad. Just wanted to clear that up for the OP.

On 8/9/2024 at 1:53 PM, Sandon said:

Based on the partial and indistinct photos, it does appear that this 1982-D quarter was struck from worn dies. The coin also appears to have a fair amount of wear. 1982 and 1983 quarters have some value in uncirculated grades due to the mint not selling uncirculated coin sets in those years but not when worn like this.

Try to post images that show each entire side of a coin, are cropped to show as little as possible of the surface surrounding the coin, and are taken from directly overhead, like these:

1937-Squarterobv..thumb.jpg.b86ca868e82f6c924232ea17e2376089.jpg

1937-Squarterrev..thumb.jpg.efae6a57aabfb60abea43d68456ae046.jpg

Nice quarter. What is the grade for this? 

On 8/9/2024 at 8:44 PM, Staci89 said:

Thank you for teaching me a little something 😊 

DO NOT get tricked into looking for coins that are “different”. It is a rabbit hole with no reward in it. Screw “different”. Look for “superior”.

IMG_20240812_1433362.thumb.jpg.95b433665e797396a3c60495cc8ca16d.jpgIMG_20240812_1433562.thumb.jpg.4326ea7ba26b7c44eaacdcc9d78debbb.jpgIMG_20240812_1433363.thumb.jpg.cf3528b6e3f73dc5ebdb44eca1bad82a.jpgIMG_20240812_1433563.thumb.jpg.fa4f1e8b655b9e3603250a6f34f75e2e.jpgFound this 1945 GB KGVI penny .

There seems to be an error here .viz the error below the kings neck and the error on the shield on the reverse. Is that true?

And if so is it worth pursuing the different  grading and values on this coin.

Thank you in advance. 

Nic101.  
This penny has absolutely nothing to do with the original 1982 quarter posted here.   
I have requested that it be moved to it’s own thread.