• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lincoln Cent Cracked Skulls
1 1

4 posts in this topic

I have. Another eye ball rolling cutesy Youbee Tubee nickname for any kind of gouge or scratch on Lincoln's head. Mostly just scratches and a nickname had to be invented by scammers to try to peddle damaged coins to people. Very few have a legitimate die crack in the area, but even those that do have an actual crack, it is so minor it is not worth any premium.

On 8/8/2024 at 11:45 PM, Halbrook Family said:

Anyone ever heard of this "variety"?

Where did you get the idea that this is a variety?   As @powermad5000 wrote above many fanciful, and inventive names are created by sellers to move the dreck they have in their collections or inventory.   A die crack can happen at any time and place to any die/coin, if we were to assign variety numbers to every die crack on every US coin the volume of varieties would be too large to even begin to document and have any meaning.   Varieties are unique and unusual things, while die cracks are common and happen with regularity.   Not every "cracked head" die crack happens in the exact same place when it does happen, trying to categorize die cracks as varieties would be total chaos.

Terms like the floating roof, cracked skull, and many others were created to sell to those who have limited knowledge of coins.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 8/9/2024 at 2:01 PM, Coinbuf said:

Terms like the floating roof, cracked skull, and many others were created to sell to those who have limited knowledge of coins.

In all fairness, this describes me to a T.  Don't be afraid to use my name; everybody else does, and the thing of it is, they're right!  :roflmao: