• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Multi-Stamp Penny?
1 1

10 posts in this topic

1. So I came across this penny, and it caught my eye because it looked like somebody had painted it black. After I got my phone out to get a better look at it, It also looks like it has been stamped over something else. I don't know why somebody painted it black to begin with. Should I try to remove the black to get a better look at what's underneath and does anybody have any idea what it could be that is underneath from these pictures? The penny is new-ish 2019 D. I tried to take pics from different angles. If the background of the pic is white that is what it really looks like. In the pictures with the black or dark background,  it is a negative of the other pic.

CM240807-215759016.jpg

CM240807-215811017.jpg

CM240807-215719013.jpg

CM240807-215734015.jpg

CM240807-215339008.jpg

CM240807-215228006.jpg

CM240807-213601004.jpg

CM240807-215131005.jpg

CM240807-213505001.jpg

CM240807-213523002.jpg

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Your 2019-D cent does not resemble any form of mint error, and I cannot think of any way in which a coin that looks like this could have been created at the mint. Most likely, someone covered its obverse with a blob of some substance (glue?) and then painted it black. I doubt that the substance could be removed without further damaging the coin. While there are coins that have been struck (not stamped) multiple times, they look nothing like this. See, for example, Mint Error Coin Chronicles: Double Struck Coins | NGC (ngccoin.com).

If you are under the impression that it is not unusual to find significant mint errors or other coins of value among circulating coins, please read the following recent article by a well-known coin dealer: Jeff Garrett: Fake News and Misinformation in Numismatics | NGC (ngccoin.com).

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I see either glue, or super glue, or epoxy has been applied to the surface to cause it to be raised like that. Why it was painted, not sure. Maybe this was part of some kind of school project??? Who knows. What we do know is that this is not a mint error and is considered as damage. Being the surface of this coin is already compromised, you could try to remove the glue or paint, but in my opinion, it is not worth the time you will spend doing it. Both elements will eventually come off on their own under heavy circulation and wear.

Thanks for the responses. I had not paid much attention to coins until I recently had to help with cleaning my granny's garage when she passed. Apparently my grandfather had been saving pennies for quite some time and he passed away in 1980 so they have just been sitting out there all this time.

On 8/8/2024 at 1:30 AM, TERESA H said:

Thanks for the responses. I had not paid much attention to coins until I recently had to help with cleaning my granny's garage when she passed. Apparently my grandfather had been saving pennies for quite some time and he passed away in 1980 so they have just been sitting out there all this time.

Look around and let us know if he saved any Morgan Silver Dollars or various gold coins. xD

Edited by GoldFinger1969

Just your bad luck... Danny Downer here, early on a New York morning!

It beggars the imagine to even suggest your grandfather who passed in 1980 had anything to do with what was found in your granny's garage almost FORTY YEARS later.

Try asking your kid brother  what he was doing during those long nites he spent tinkering with things back in the garage -- and whether he had ever found that Creature from the Black Lagoon he lost a few years back.

On 8/7/2024 at 11:30 PM, Coinbuf said:

...  The good news is it is still worth 1 cent.

Respectfully, you're taking quite a leap with that optimistic prediction.  It's debatable it's worth anything at all if someone accepts it.  If not, it may have value if you come up with a witty back-story, otherwise it's not worth one red cent.

On 8/8/2024 at 1:43 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Look around and let us know if he saved any Morgan Silver Dollars or various gold coins. xD

No, long story short, all the Double Eagles were bright, shiny and new and by Morgan I am guessing you mean the Big Bird coins with PEACE at the bottom, but quite frankly it was Lincoln's doctored autopsy visage on the funereal black surface of what turned out to be a newer cent that caught my eye.  I may be new at this, but I am learning.

Oh wait, a knowledgeable guy that came by who said the Double Eagles were only dollars that yellowed with age, made my day.  He said they were actually lead painted yellow to look old and all had only one eagle on them instead of two.  He felt sorry for me and offered to take all 53 from me for $73, which works out to $1.37 apiece.  So I guess I made out like a bandit, all things considered.  :)

Edited by Henri Charriere
Ko-wreck misspelling.