• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this coin worth anything
1 1

28 posts in this topic

Same as the other 1958 Lincoln cent you posted, $2-$4.  It's a very nice coin but very common, many rolls of late 50's early 60's Lincoln cents were saved.  If you were to have this graded by NGC and it were to receive a very high grade of MS67RD it would then be worth more.

Edited by Coinbuf

While this cent is very nice and red in color (RD), there were 253,400,652 minted. At this point in time, this was the last year of the Wheat Cent reverse, people were long past the effects of the Great Depression and World War II, and were much easier able to store these in this same condition by the roll. I was given a full roll of 1957 LWC's early in my collecting and submitted the best two from the roll, which by the way are in similar condition to this cent with no apparent hits or marks and they only graded as MS 65 RD. I see some limited minor hits on both sides of your coin. I also see some marking across the face and beard of Lincoln on the obverse and sadly I think this would get details grade for environmental damage. It is certainly not worth the cost of TPG grading (believe me, the plastic will be worth more than the coin in it).

If I had your coin, I would be looking to put it into either a round or square plastic clamshell type holder and enjoy it as it is still a nice cent.

Edited by powermad5000

I have taken a closer look at your coin. You coin exhibits doubling on the date consistent with a doubled die strike. NGC does not list this as a recognized variety, but CONECA may have a listing for this coin. There is a 1958 DDO FS-101 recognized by NGC that shows heavy north doubling on LIBERTY and the MOTTO, your coin is opposite with heavy shift east doubling on the date only and clear strikes on LIBERTY and Motto. The coin may have a higher value than most think. I would have this coin looked at in person by a qualified coin dealer or appraiser. The members at CONECA may be able to help you attribute this coin if its either a new discovery or a scarcer variety rarely seen. I believe you may have a little something there. The condition of the coin makes further investigation worthwhile as if the coin is in fact a rare variety it could be worth a lot of money in that condition. Cheers! Goodluck!

image.png.3e9f44b81fbf46161b6ef9b7bea6dafc.png

1958 DDO FS-101 Below. Only 4 known or graded. 

818837-1.jpg

Edited by Mike Meenderink

The photos are inadequate to determine whether or not the OP's coin is a doubled die variety, but it appears to exhibit shallow, shelf-like doubling without a notch or gap between the primary and secondary images and is much more likely to be the result of common strike doubling, a.k.a. machine or mechanical doubling. See Double Dies vs. Machine Doubling | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Other than the FS-101, which this coin clearly isn't, there are no 1958 doubled die obverse cent varieties listed on doubleddie.com or varietyvista.com, which generally cover all of the more minor as well as major doubled die varieties. It is unlikely that a doubled die variety with a substantial "spread" on the date wouldn't have been discovered over the last 66 years, especially given the scrutiny on this date by those trying to find another FS-101.

I recommend that the OP post cropped, clearer images of the obverse of this coin with a closeup of the date if possible.

On 8/7/2024 at 7:26 AM, Mike Meenderink said:

I have taken a closer look at your coin. You coin exhibits doubling on the date consistent with a doubled die strike. NGC does not list this as a recognized variety, but CONECA may have a listing for this coin. There is a 1958 DDO FS-101 recognized by NGC that shows heavy north doubling on LIBERTY and the MOTTO, your coin is opposite with heavy shift east doubling on the date only and clear strikes on LIBERTY and Motto. The coin may have a higher value than most think. I would have this coin looked at in person by a qualified coin dealer or appraiser. The members at CONECA may be able to help you attribute this coin if its either a new discovery or a scarcer variety rarely seen. I believe you may have a little something there. The condition of the coin makes further investigation worthwhile as if the coin is in fact a rare variety it could be worth a lot of money in that condition. Cheers! Goodluck!

@Staci89 the information in this post is erroneous and false, your coin is not a doubled die coin.  I suggest that you pay it no attention.   IF you review this screen shot taken from another thread where Mike was proven to be completely incorrect it will put some perspective on the value of Mike's comments.   He just likes to start stuff even when he knows nothing, which is most of the time.

image.thumb.png.af6700a52d872bb4f30a6a710e5fe3f7.png

Edited by Coinbuf

On 8/7/2024 at 3:15 PM, Coinbuf said:

@Staci89 the information in this post is erroneous and false, your coin is not a doubled die coin.  I suggest that you pay it no attention. 

Explain it smart guy There are obvious serifs, and the doubling is 100% obvious. Blow up the photo. You are all wrong. Period. THE DATE IS DOUBLED not machine, not shelf, BUT Doubled die struck. If you can't see that then I don't know what to say. Telling someone you are right and I am wrong when the photos obviously prove you wrong is not a good look. LOOK at the pic blown up its OBVIOUS>PLease.....get over yourselves

On 8/7/2024 at 11:39 AM, RWB said:

Please don't confuse new collectors with pointless speculation.

1958 DDO FS-101 is extremely rare. The multitude of minor varieties are not.

On 8/7/2024 at 1:08 PM, Sandon said:

The photos are inadequate to determine whether or not the OP's coin is a doubled die variety, but it appears to exhibit shallow, shelf-like doubling without a notch or gap between the primary and secondary images and is much more likely to be the result of common strike doubling, a.k.a. machine or mechanical doubling. See Double Dies vs. Machine Doubling | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Other than the FS-101, which this coin clearly isn't, there are no 1958 doubled die obverse cent varieties listed on doubleddie.com or varietyvista.com, which generally cover all of the more minor as well as major doubled die varieties. It is unlikely that a doubled die variety with a substantial "spread" on the date wouldn't have been discovered over the last 66 years, especially given the scrutiny on this date by those trying to find another FS-101.

I recommend that the OP post cropped, clearer images of the obverse of this coin with a closeup of the date if possible.

image.png.aff70c8b0e9b7675ca21308af26ec396.png

On 8/7/2024 at 3:43 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

Explain it smart guy There are obvious serifs, and the doubling is 100% obvious. Blow up the photo. You are all wrong. Period. THE DATE IS DOUBLED not machine, not shelf, BUT Doubled die struck. If you can't see that then I don't know what to say. Telling someone you are right and I am wrong when the photos obviously prove you wrong is not a good look. LOOK at the pic blown up its OBVIOUS>PLease.....get over yourselves

The font used for the date in that photo has no serifs, so you are wrong right out of the gate, what the photo shows is common worthless strike doubling not any true hub doubling.   If you were half as smart as you think you are you could rule the best 1st grade class.   You need new glasses and some education blind guy.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 8/7/2024 at 3:54 PM, Coinbuf said:

The font used for the date in that photo has no serifs, so you are wrong right out of the gate, what the photo shows is common worthless strike doubling not any true hub doubling.   If you were half as smart as you think you are you could rule the best 1st grade class.

Serifs describe the ends of all letters and numbers numbskull fancy of not. So, tell me you still trying to say this coin's date isn't doubled die struck? Bahahahaha ok... you teach me ...lmfao

On 8/7/2024 at 3:57 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

you teach me ...lmfao

Already did, but I think your brain has become too "subducted" to be able to learn.   Hey remember that time last week when you made a complete fool of yourself with those cent photos that you found "floating around on the net", yes me too, good memories.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 8/7/2024 at 3:54 PM, Coinbuf said:

what the photo shows is common worthless strike doubling not any true hub doubling.

Strike doubling does not have shift and does not leave the ends of the numbers clearly separated and doubled with mounded metal on top as we see here. Let's have some other more proficient people than you look at this then we will talk...you are wrong. Period. It's a DDO date. I will accept your apologies when you regain your senses. 

On 8/7/2024 at 1:08 PM, Sandon said:

shelf-like doubling without a notch or gap between the primary and secondary images

look again with the pic enlarged ...your mind will be changed

On 8/7/2024 at 4:07 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

No you are wrong and you need new glasses or maybe a hobby that doesn't require some intelligence.

On 8/7/2024 at 3:43 PM, Mike Meenderink said:
On 8/7/2024 at 11:39 AM, RWB said:

Please don't confuse new collectors with pointless speculation.

1958 DDO FS-101 is extremely rare. The multitude of minor varieties are not.

Pointless? Would you deem a possible unknown or scarce DDO variety find as pointless? You got to be kidding me. This is a DDO date 1958. It's not something I have seen and the only thing like it would be the other DDO.

On 8/7/2024 at 7:07 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

No, it isn't. The resolution of the images is just too poor to establish anything, and it still looks like strike doubling.

On 8/7/2024 at 9:26 AM, Mike Meenderink said:

818837-1.jpg

Dammit Mike, stop this 💩.

On 8/7/2024 at 6:07 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

look again with the pic enlarged

You seem to just be focusing on the date. What about LIBERTY and IN GOD WE TRUST in the pic that you yourself provided Mike of FS-101 which shows CLEAR doubling of the lettering and motto unaided and to the naked eye???????? I certainly do NOT see this in the OP's original pic.

On 8/7/2024 at 7:53 PM, powermad5000 said:

You seem to just be focusing on the date. What about LIBERTY and IN GOD WE TRUST in the pic that you yourself provided Mike of FS-101 which shows CLEAR doubling of the lettering and motto unaided and to the naked eye???????? I certainly do NOT see this in the OP's original pic.

I am not saying doubling on the motto or liberty I'm saying doubling on date only. The FS 101 is the only known DDO type recognized by NGC that's what I put that coin up for. Never said it was a FS101. Just that it looks like doubling on the date and might be a variety at Coneca. Everyone is jumping on me. There are clear separations of the numbers and shift. You can see notching in the 198 on the ends of the numbers. I'm sticking to my attribution no matter what anyone says. Especially Coinbutt.

On 8/7/2024 at 11:56 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

I am not saying doubling on the motto or liberty I'm saying doubling on date only. The FS 101 is the only known DDO type recognized by NGC that's what I put that coin up for. Never said it was a FS101.

Ah. Understand your point now. The only problem I have is that we don't have a decent, clear closeup of the date. The other issue I have is that the lighting would have to be moved to different angles. We have seen before on here where in one photo, an element looks like it could be something and then we are provided photos with different lighting from different angles and then the element disappears. I think that might be part of the case here. We might be seeing some shadows around the numbers that could be giving the impression that there is some form of doubling in the area and if provided with different photos we might come to find that there is not even any mechanical doubling and all we were seeing is some shadows.

If the OP could provide additional photos it will put this debate to rest.

On 8/7/2024 at 10:02 AM, RWB said:

"Is this coin worth anything"

Nope. :)

"Does it have copper bullion value?

Yup!  :hi:

On 8/8/2024 at 12:56 AM, Mike Meenderink said:

I am not saying doubling on the motto or liberty I'm saying doubling on date only. The FS 101 is the only known DDO type recognized by NGC that's what I put that coin up for. Never said it was a FS101. Just that it looks like doubling on the date and might be a variety at Coneca. Everyone is jumping on me. There are clear separations of the numbers and shift. You can see notching in the 198 on the ends of the numbers. I'm sticking to my attribution no matter what anyone says. Especially Coinbutt.

When all is said and done, is it, or isn't it a DODO?

THAT'S WHAT ENQUIRING MINDS WANT T KNOW.