• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

full step nickel definition
1 1

38 posts in this topic

is there a procedure for photo'ing a coin? Does this have better resolution than the previous  photo in the 2X2 I removed it and put it under a microscope w/lite would you please # the 6 steps you see as I see 5 counting under #1 column (it's a 1999S)image.thumb.jpeg.2daf6abb8442f8a6b4a44e34004f629b.jpeg

On 8/2/2024 at 1:19 PM, micoin said:

would you please # the 6 steps you see as I see 5 counting under #1 column

Each raised line, including those at the top and bottom, is counted as a step. When you count each such raised line, there are six, both on your 1999-S proof (as is normal on proofs) and on @Lem E's 1941-D. 

When evaluating a coin's strike and other qualities, don't focus entirely on a single feature such as the steps. I have seen Jefferson nickels with 5 or 6 full steps that were nevertheless stuck from worn dies with indistinct details in other areas and greasy "orange peel" surfaces. In my opinion, such coins should be avoided, especially if they are offered at a premium solely due to the step detail.

problems with the way I see your explanation after reading the info   from the nickel guy done in 2017 for  pcgs I referred to above he's counting each incised line as tread and raised portion as it's riser this is another picture looking at about 12%

image.jpeg

(Note:  The following is a joke. Vewer discretion is advised...)

A number of members have posted certified examples of Full-Step coins over the years which, for lack of a better term, are not photogenic.  They do not provide the resolution required to display the Full-Steps with sufficient resolution.  Owners who provided examples of such coins, in good faith, were undoubtedly disappointed their coins failed to illustrate the steps adequately.

(Joke coming)... Full Steps, as collectors are aware, carry a premium. Covert theft is common.  In 1936, The Brooklyn Museum in NYC sufferrd such a theft on a massive scale.  The thieves took evenything depriving visitors of a grand entrance.  Architects were aghast, but funds were appropriated and the grand "staircase" was restored.  Regrettably, Pennsylvania Station was razed in its entirety in 1965 and its debris callously dumped in New Jersey, much the way the Trade Towers were post 9/11. [A few majestic stone eagles were salvaged and have been incorporated in the facade of the Main Library.]

A Full-Step coin is a thing of beauty but I can only hope no collector devote every hour they are awake to finding them.

On 8/2/2024 at 2:35 PM, micoin said:

problems with the way I see your explanation after reading the info   from the nickel guy done in 2017 for  pcgs I referred to above he's counting each incised line as tread and raised portion as it's riser this is another picture looking at about 12%

image.jpeg

Every way I look at this one I see 6 steps. But it also looks like a proof so it could have whatever you want, and it does not matter. There are no FS designations for proof coins. If it is a SP coin, then the FS designation counts

Edited by J P M

it's a proof - here is what TNG says" First off, the porch landing, the top of the first step is not counted. I count the grooves starting below it. Except when you get to the bottom, the sixth step, it has to be completely free of the rectangle that encloses the 5 grooves or steps and it has to be the complete design of the bottom of Monticello" so I guess it is 6 steps your right  OOPS SORRY