• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2023 dime is it an error or variety?
1 1

6 posts in this topic

2023 p dime  I took this pictures with my phone trying to find out if this is an error or variety or what is it.

looks like there is a sideburn on Roosevelt face near the ear I marked the error with red.

can anyone help thank you

20240114_093732~4.jpg20240801_171130.thumb.jpg.d1562cd953adb37325e467b6062e5ac6.jpg

20240803_162534 copy.jpg

Edited by bouchta tajjiou

Not sure what you mean by finding a brand-new coin in a sealed bank box.

My uninformed, uneducated case is No and No.

And if the comments from those in the know, sure to follow are any indication, I will likely be right...

When you post images of a coin about which you have questions, please post cropped, clear images of each full side of the coin, as well as pertinent close-ups.  It is difficult to evaluate a coin well without seeing all of each side.

Based on the current images, this Roosevelt dime exhibits clash marks on Roosevelt's ear and neck, likely from the leaves on the oak branch on the reverse die. Clash marks result from the dies coming together in the press without a planchet between them, causing partial images from one or both of the dies to be impressed onto the other and appear as mirror images on coins subsequently struck from such damaged dies. Clash marks are quite common on both modern and older U.S. coins and are most properly classified as die states, a terminology most frequently used on older (especially pre-1838) U.S. coins. On modern coins like this one they are usually referred to as quality control issues or minor mint errors.  Coins exhibiting clash marks are sometimes collected as novelties but are generally not worth a significant premium.

Hello and welcome!  And thank you for posting your coin in its own thread. 

http://www.maddieclashes.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/45509977.jpg

You did not provide us a clear, cropped photo of the full obverse and reverse of your coin, only the closeups of the area in question. We would need to see these photos of both sides to be able to tell if your coin has a die clash as would be seen in the photos above from maddieclashes.com.

It is possible that your coin has a minor die clash as I see the area at the top of the ear is consistent with an upside down acorn and I also notice some other disturbances below the ear and on the neck which would be commensurate with some of the oak leaves, but without the full photos of both sides it is just too hard to tell if it is a minor clash or if they are just some die chips.

Perhaps you could provide the additional photos needed to make a more accurate diagnosis.

[NOTE : I apologize the images from the website I looked at will not appear in this post. You can copy and paste that link to look at them.]

Edited by powermad5000

On 8/1/2024 at 1:42 PM, bouchta tajjiou said:

yes I will post reverse and obverse, yes there is oak leaves on the eyes and near the face and there is probably a crack in reverse

Here is the overlay from Mad Die Clash, as you can see it matches up with the areas in your closeup to confirm this as a die clash.   In the future it is best to post full obv and rev photos along with any close ups when asking a question

image.png.6ab6580d0b24ea6630c140394ba97c8a.png

Edited by Coinbuf