• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1948 penny weighing 2.7 grams
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I have a 1948 penny weighing 2.7 grams. It doesn't look corroded to me as all details are clearly visible on both sides and there are no missing chunks or pieces. It sounds like a slightly higher pitch than that of other pennies from the same year. Does not stick to a magnet. The obverse edge feels slightly sharp unlike the reverse. How can this be?

IMG_20240731_193547456_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20240731_193306724~3.jpg

Hello and welcome to the forum!

THIS PROCESS OF STRIKING A COIN WITH AN OBJECT OR DROPPING A COIN ON A TABLE OR SURFACE TO HEAR HOW IT SOUNDS MUST STOP!!!!!!!!

METALLIC SOUND TESTS PROVE NOTHING IN THIS HOBBY!!!!

ANY OF THESE COINS WHICH IF TRULY  HAVE CONDITIONS THAT WOULD MAKE THEM VALUABLE WOULD BE SEVERELY DIMINISHED IN VALUE BY SUCH BAD PRACTICES!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to have to call this out on you specifically but there have been too many of these instances of people doing this nonsense test to a coin lately. Metallic "ping" is not any type of coin test that experienced numismatists perform.

The facts as noted above by Sandon are correct. This coin with its rough appearance looks to me to be either acid etched either as an experiment or to remove some surface issue, or was a ground burial that was recovered and started to circulate again. However it happened, I think this coin is underweight slightly because something bad happened to it.

I agree with the possibility of acid reduction, your photos are overexposed but the surfaces look grainy and textured like it has been treated with a mild acid.

On 8/1/2024 at 8:56 AM, Sandon said:

Welcome to the NGC chat board. Please note that the "NGC Registry" forum is for topics pertaining to the use of the NGC certified coin registry. Questions about coins such as this should be posted on the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions" forum or the "U.S., World, and Ancient Coins" forum, where they will receive better attention. (The Administrator will likely move this topic to that forum.)

Although the official weight of a 1948 cent was 3.11 grams, there was a legal tolerance of plus or minus 0.13 gram, so this coin when struck could have weighed as little as 2.98 grams and still been within specifications.  This coin has some wear and based upon your photos has a grainy or etched surface, possibly from exposure to an acid or other chemical, which could have also caused some weight loss.  Your description of the "obverse edge" (meaning the rim?) being "slightly sharp" suggests that someone could have scraped a small amount of metal from that area. All of these circumstances would have been due to occurrences after the coin was made and would be of no interest or value to collectors. It is also possible that the coin was struck on slightly thin planchet stock, a minor mint error or of only slight value, but that does not appear to be the case.

Contrary to what you may have read on some websites, it is extremely unusual to find any significant mint error or other valuable coin in circulation or in random accumulations of coins. Please read the following recent article by a well-known coin dealer: Jeff Garrett: Fake News and Misinformation in Numismatics | NGC (ngccoin.com).

Your 1948 penny's weight, higher pitch, and sharp edge are intriguing. The extra weight might suggest an unusual minting or wear. If the details are clear and it’s non-magnetic, it’s likely genuine. Consulting a numismatist could help determine its value or if it’s a rare variety. History has always been one of my favourite subjects, and this https://www.topessaywriting.org/samples/american-history essay on American history provides a rich and detailed account of the country's key milestones. It covers significant events like the Revolutionary War and the Civil Rights Movement, helping me better understand how the U.S. evolved. Whether you’re a student or a history buff, this essay is a great resource for anyone looking to explore America’s past.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate you for taking the time to write it in brief.

Edited by LindaBRutt