• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No rim
1 1

18 posts in this topic

I found this penny yesterday that is a 1955-D when I 1st looked at it I thought it had a double rim, but when under the microscope it revealed that the rim is flat like it skipped the rimming process. What do you think? I'v looked through thousands of pennies but have never seen this before. 

20240730_214647.jpg

20240730_214706.jpg

Wouldn't that require a lot of pressure to smash that rim down like that? And wouldn't the coin be larger if it was smashed? Or pressed. I would also think that the aluminum would be damaged. Long before it smashed down the copper.

But if the rim was pressed, would it not make the penny larger? It's exactly the same size, if not a little smaller. When matched up to another penny. Not to mention if it is pressed without much pressure. I would imagine it would be really difficult to remove it without damaging it.

These show up all the time on the coin forums. The strike/press forces the metal from the holder, around the rim of the coin. Sometimes the design on the die will actually show on the rim of the coin. There have been hundreds and hundreds of different Lucky holders.   

I've seen several cents that look exactly like your 1955-D in mixed groups of circulated wheat reverse cents. They are coins that were removed from these once common encasements and spent.

Just a moment, Patman!

In all these "feel-good" posts, bear in mind the phenomenon you've observed, whether caused by a formally-attired fedora-wearing Mighty Mouse or Creature from the Black Lagoon, constitutes post-mint damage, or PMD, as mentioned, almost as an after-thought by @Fenntucky Mike.

While in and of itself, the oddity does not command a premium, I do not believe it is as common as it once was and you may consider holding on to it as a numismatic-related oddity.

On 7/31/2024 at 4:01 PM, bouchta tajjiou said:

I am posting a picture of my coin I found in a 2024 new sealed dime box I got from my bank , I took close picture with my phone looks like this coin have a sideburn added to it,

can anyone please help trying to find out if this is an error or if not what is it?

thank you

20240114_093732~2.jpg

20240114_093732~4.jpg

It looks like a minor clash. It is best to start a new post to ask new questions on something.

It is not advisable @bouchta tajjiou to tag onto a thread with a completely different coin with a completely different characteristic. For the benefit of the members here and for you to get the responses you are looking for, please start your own thread for your coin.