• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Double mint mark
1 1

11 posts in this topic

What's your opinion? on this coin. Looks like the mint mark was struck 2x and the bottom of the L is above it. 

Picture_20240719060128.jpg

Yes your 1918 looks like it took a hit on the L and flattened it out, or it was a grease filled die.

Gratuitous comment... you've been around awhile. I am confident you can take a joke.

Not sure what to make of the doubled-D.  Been hearing a lot of boilerplate default responses lately involving "grease-filled" dies and apparently strategic meteorite strikes.  Maybe the L's are worth more and are being targeted by thieves.  🤣

I regret your outright rejection of the offer I was prepared to make, just North of $1.9M, but not to exceed $2.0M, but I understand.  I would squirrel away both coins as interesting oddities.  All the best!

(Posted at the discretion of Moderation.)

Edited by Henri Charriere

Your 1953 D looks like it has taken a hit above the L and another hit on the 9. The "second" D looks like it took a hit there and developed a small spot of advancing corrosion that is giving the appearance of another D. The mintmark was applied by hand to the dies and while it may be in slightly different locations or tilted slightly, no RPM would have the second hit from the mintmark punch be this far off.

As for the 1918, there seems to be another phenomenon developing somewhere (probably on social media or the internet somewhere) that the L on Lincoln Wheat Cents is some type of error or something that is worth some kind of premium. Not to single you out, but in the last year there have been many people posting about the L either being weak, too close to the rim, or not existent. The L can get closer to the rim as the dies wear out, and a weak L can be from a weak strike as those typically around 1920 or from a partial grease filled die, and a missing L from a grease filled die or a big hit to the L, but none of these conditions gives the cent any premium and is too common to make it a highly desired collectible cent. I personally just think the issues with the L are from poor quality control.

If you find the situation with the L fascinating, by all means, keep this cent. You can use it as a conversation piece. Just don't look at the "missing" L to add any premium to the cent.

On 7/22/2024 at 1:14 PM, powermad5000 said:

....As for the 1918, there seems to be another phenomenon developing somewhere (probably on social media or the internet somewhere) that the L on Lincoln Wheat Cents is some type of error or something that is worth some kind of premium....

🐓:  Is it just me or has anyone else gotten the impression PM5000 is beginning to sound more and more like you, Q?

Q.A.:  I never claimed my afffliction wasn't contagious, but I've come up with yet another fantastical explanation the membership (with a sense of humor) would likely get a big kick out of:  I still maintain the L's are so valuable that even porch pirates are getting in on the act of filching them, but my biggest coup is alleging the NARA Archives were raided and all references to the "D's" missing from the '22 LHC's and reappearing years later on the '53's, and other coins, were scrubbed from the official records. (Roger had asked me to withhold comment until he could confirm it, but he picked the wrong person to confide in. I can't keep grudges -- or numismatic secrets!)  🤣

I kinda figured it was nothing but just had to see  your thoughts.  

I don't really even look for errors unless something stands out and says hi. I personally think they are way over rated. 

Thanks for the help

Speaking from personal experience, coins and marriage are alike.  My wife and I were well into our sixties when it occurred to me she was too old to adopt, so I married her instead.  Neither my brother or sister married; I had no intention of doing so either.  I didn't look for love. I was simply minding my own business when "love" found me.

It's the same with coins.  Members engage in roll-hunting activity and it is not my place to pass judgment on them. Now, if they are looking for errors, my attitude is best expressed when I see dogs straining on leashes in the park aching to catch a squirrel.  I tell owners why not unleash them and allow them to find our for themselves that they cannot catch them. One dog owner, horrified, said, "But he DID!" I assumed the result was gruesome. Still and all, I agree with those who feel finding ERRORS are once-in-lifetime events.  You do not find ERRORS; they find you.