• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 runny nose Lincoln penny no mint mark
1 1

14 posts in this topic

I found this 1970 penny and first noticed it was missing a mint mark. I then noticed the line under Lincoln’s nose and couldn’t find any other penny’s online like this one.

image.jpg

image.jpg

On 7/15/2024 at 11:30 AM, Trent Derwent said:

I found this 1970 penny and first noticed it was missing a mint mark. I then noticed the line under Lincoln’s nose and couldn’t find any other penny’s online like this one.

image.jpg

image.jpg

It is a 1970 cent struck in Philadelphia. There is nothing even remotely unusual about it. 

On 7/15/2024 at 11:42 AM, Trent Derwent said:

Zoom in under the nose, sorry the quality is bad but it is noticeable that there is a line under the nose and it’s definitely not just a scratch.

It is damage, plain and simple.

Not missing the mint mark, 1970 cents struck at the Philadelphia plant did not have mint marks.   
Hard to tell from picture but if that line is raised, then it would be a plating bubble, if it is incuse,   
then it would be damage. Nothing unusual about it in any way.

Please crop your photos so that they show as little as possible of the surface surrounding the coin. Based upon what I can see from the current photo, there is simply a nick on Lincoln's nose that has displaced metal from the impact that created it along its side.  

I can't see it in the provided photos which are uncropped and too far away and also poorly lit, but IF there is a raised line under Lincoln's nose it would be just a die chip and would have no added value. I'll go with those stating damage because it would be an either/or.

On 7/15/2024 at 4:25 PM, powermad5000 said:

.... but IF there is a raised line under Lincoln's nose it would be...

"... a pencil mustache AND according to unwritten Forum rules, promulgated by the late, great @Oldhoopster it would be up to the OP to prove what it is he claims to see.  The rest of the membership enjoys transactional immunity conferred on us by the Federal Government, but only as it relates to a former Federal figure."  🐓 

nota bene:  if you respond to Ricky's outrageous assertion, the joke will be on you for responding to a crowing rooster.  🤣

Edited by Henri Charriere
Routine die polishing.

On 7/15/2024 at 6:08 PM, Halbrook Family said:

why do people always think no mint mark means it's worth money?  Looking on eBay you see that stuff all the time. 

I don't know where this type of misinformation originates, no different than the L on the rim or the floating roof its all just nonsense.   Maybe a clueless ebay seller looking to rip off a mark, etsy, fakebook, get rich quick you tube video, any number of places where these fallacies get started.   But once these get on the internet they spread like a wildfire and once out, this misinformation is tough to quench.

On 7/15/2024 at 8:08 PM, Halbrook Family said:

why do people always think no mint mark means it's worth money?  Looking on eBay you see that stuff all the time. 

eBay has become a site for scam artists and i-d-i-o-t-s. eBay refuses to police their site. Kinda like NGC. 

The problem is worse than just eBay and YouTube giving out bad information.  There are several books written by legitimate, respected people in the coin community that are just garbage.  Books like "Strike it Rich with Pocket Change" and even the "Cherry Pickers Guide" can lead collectors to think the change they find in their pockets is valuable.  

Obviously we know how rare it is to find something truly meaningful in change... but that doesn't stop those who want to sell books or get "likes".  In my mind people like Ken Potter are as much to blame as the content creators on Social Media.  It's all just a ploy to make money off the backs of the new collector.

On 7/18/2024 at 1:26 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

The problem is worse than just eBay and YouTube giving out bad information.  There are several books written by legitimate, respected people in the coin community that are just garbage.  Books like "Strike it Rich with Pocket Change" and even the "Cherry Pickers Guide" can lead collectors to think the change they find in their pockets is valuable.  

Obviously we know how rare it is to find something truly meaningful in change... but that doesn't stop those who want to sell books or get "likes".  In my mind people like Ken Potter are as much to blame as the content creators on Social Media.  It's all just a ploy to make money off the backs of the new collector.

And then there are former authors that have turned into hucksters.