• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1913 5c VAR 2 ROTATED 30 DEGREES CCW MS 64 HELP!!!!!
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I JUST RECIEVED BACK FROM ANACS AND ACCORDING TO THE POPULATION REPORT THIS IS THE HIGHEST GRADED OF THIS VARIETY ACCORDING TO ANACS.  HOW CAN I FIND OUT FURTHER POPULATIONS ON THIS COIN CONSIDERING ITS A VERY RARE AND UNIQUE VARIETY.  DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW PCGS DESIGNATES THIS ETC.  LOVE THIS COIN HAVE HAD IT FOR A LONG TIME.  LOOKING TO ASCERTAIN THE TRUE VALUE.  ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. 

Certification #:
Denomination:
5C
Type:
BUFFALO
Date:
Mintmark:
None
Variety:
VAR 2 ROTATED DIES
Grade:
Superlative:
None

7628486-O.jpg
7628486-R.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

I believe you may be confused about ANACS' use of the term "variety." In this case, they are describing the modifications made by Charles Barber to James Earl Fraser's original design of the nickel. The words "FIVE CENTS" had been placed on a raised mound beneath the bison, but it was quickly discovered that this caused rapid wear of the letters. Barber re-designed the coin to recess the letters and smooth out some of the detail on other parts of the design. The original design is referred to by ANACS as "Variety one" and the second version as "Variety two." NGC calls them "Type one" and Type two." PCGS does the same. Your coin happens to also have been struck from a rotated die, but that has nothing to do with the term "variety" in this case.

As far as NGC populations, they have certified 933 in MS64, with 498 higher.

Nice coin, by the way. 

Edited by Just Bob

Thank you for all the advice.  My apologies on misspeaking and thank you for clarifying this error.  I am fairly new to having coins graded only have like 80 now hahaha.   Looking for a coin lot to put together for Auction. 

Astute observation by Just Bob. (thumbsu

You may have misspoke in the first half of your reply, but as a Newbie, someone misled you to believe you have the option to abandon a hobby you yourself admit you're new to.

FAIR WARNING: SOME JOKES ARE NOT SUITABLE FOR ALL ADULT COIN COLLECTORS. VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED.  :whatthe:

Contrary to what you may have heard, read, or truly believe, no one freely elects to leave the hobby of his own volition.  When silver was removed from coinage, there was no point in my loitering about the premises. I was "forced" out like a loser in a no-fault divorce action.

Fifty years later, a Gold Rooster caught my eye.  My aim, laid up after surgery, was to quickly knock off a complete set of all 16 coins in the Fr20F/GR series. Easier said than done.  Along the way, I learned while some dates were scarcer than others, fully half the series presented a serious challenge. That did not deter me; I persevered. I swore  I would never yield to encapsulation; I folded like a wet house of cards. And then there's the half that whispered to me in subtle, subliminal ways... "Psst! Have you seen that 1914 in MS-67? CHECK it out on ebay! No, not tomorrow. RIGHT NOW!!!"... I obeyed.

Upgrading is a life-long commitment. Nobody gets to walk away. Carried away, perhaps. Walk away? That's an unconfirmed rumor.

Your job as a collector, is to collect.  Not benefit personally. Your heirs pick up where you left off. Don't confuse a noble pursuit with that of investors whose forte is dabbling in filthy lucre and generic metals.

So what'll it be... you IN or OUT?  doh!  🐓 

On 7/9/2024 at 4:39 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Astute observation by Just Bob. (thumbsu

You may have misspoke in the first half of your reply, but as a Newbie, someone misled you to believe you have the option to abandon a hobby you yourself admit you're new to.

FAIR WARNING: SOME JOKES ARE NOT SUITABLE FOR ALL ADULT COIN COLLECTORS. VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED.  :whatthe:

Contrary to what you may have heard, read, or truly believe, no one freely elects to leave the hobby of his own volition.  When silver was removed from coinage, there was no point in my loitering about the premises. I was "forced" out like a loser in a no-fault divorce action.

Fifty years later, a Gold Rooster caught my eye.  My aim, laid up after surgery, was to quickly knock off a complete set of all 16 coins in the Fr20F/GR series. Easier said than done.  Along the way, I learned while some dates were scarcer than others, fully half the series presented a serious challenge. That did not deter me; I persevered. I swore  I would never yield to encapsulation; I folded like a wet house of cards. And then there's the half that whispered to me in subtle, subliminal ways... "Psst! Have you seen that 1914 in MS-67? CHECK it out on ebay! No, not tomorrow. RIGHT NOW!!!"... I obeyed.

Upgrading is a life-long commitment. Nobody gets to walk away. Carried away, perhaps. Walk away? That's an unconfirmed rumor.

Your job as a collector, is to collect.  Not benefit personally. Your heirs pick up where you left off. Don't confuse a noble pursuit with that of investors whose forte is dabbling in filthy lucre and generic metals.

So what'll it be... you IN or OUT?  doh!  🐓 

I am in.

Well Said.