• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1853 Pattern Cent?

12 posts in this topic

I purchased this coin on ebay Listed as a Hard Times token. Obviously it's not, but it seems rather unique. Its 18.02 MM and weighs 3.9 grams (60.19 grains). A Judd-151 Pattern cent made of German Silver sold in 1973 had a weight of 39.9 grains and a diameter of 18.1 mm. Could this be a pure copper pattern cent? I don't have the expertise or references to determine. Also, if I sent it in to be graded, would they decline to slab because of the blemish on the nose, or would they simply note it since this would be a discovery coin? What might the coin be worth if it is a new find?

thanks much,

Doug

846737-Pattern1853.jpg.d665a876fad64bcdf5aae9d19f25fbf1.jpg

I don't know what it is and have no reference books with me right now, but send it in to be graded. The hit on the nose doesn't look bad enough for a body bag.

If you are unsure about that, send it to NCS first for grading and if it would grade at NGC they will send it on. Or try ANACS.

IMO, It doesn't look like any pattern cent that I have ever seen. It may be a hard times token, as described. NGC also grades HTT also.

Edit! Oops! I didn't notice at first but there is a wide space between "ONE" and "CENT". I just about would bet that , at one time, the word "NOT" was in between the "ONE CENT". Someone long ago scraped off the "NOT" to pass the token as a regular U.S. Cent!

Even old folks can learn something!

Dear God, I hope so. wink.gif

Hoot

BTW, Here's some more info on 1853 patterns.

Hoot-----I am truly impressed!!----And Doug----Hoot is a pro and you should listen to him. Get the piece slabbed by NGC. Anyway, Hoot , you forced me to drag out my old 1970 coppy of Judd. #149 is German silver [40% nickel, 40% copper and 20% zinc and is listed as an R-6 #150 is also German silver [30% nickel and 60% copper and 10% zinc] and is listed also as an R-6 #151 is 40% nickel and 60% copper and is listed as an R-7 There is also a Mule of the reverse with the reverse of the cent of 1850 It is #152 and is also German Silver and is listed as an R-7 Now Doug---I have the book but not the knowledge in this area. But, if that coin was mine, I would get it in a slab. I know enough to tell you that, if it is authentic, it is worth some bucks. Great going Hoot!! Bob [supertooth]

Looking at the price you paid.......several other folks new it wasn't a hard times token either 893whatthe.gif

Now with that said...it's still worth every penny...no (pun intended) and I would say you got a steal of a deal 893applaud-thumb.gif