• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I brake this lens open ?
1 1

40 posts in this topic

I've had this pearl Harbor set for years but now that I'm reading up more on old or rare coins the steel.coin is near mint it looks like it's in BU condition the silver nickle is a 1943 P reverse mint mark and then a 1945 S penny should I break open the set and just encapsulate the 3 also I'm posting a 71 S Ike dollar with the bent planet on the reverse I found in circulation..smh I know it shouldn't be in circulation  what do ya'll think

16860519236167521944476860215915.jpg

16860520581023968160671958956117.jpg

16860520776613411511422203860051.jpg

The pic isn't close and sharp enough to be sure, but the steel penny sure looks plated at this view. The nickel is part silver, as in maybe a buck's worth; you could get an uncirculated one rather cheaply. There's a muddy Linc below it I can't identify, probably a wheatie by overall aspect. The odds are that the three together are worth something like a buck-25.

On 6/6/2023 at 9:55 AM, JKK said:

The pic isn't close and sharp enough to be sure, but the steel penny sure looks plated at this view. The nickel is part silver, as in maybe a buck's worth; you could get an uncirculated one rather cheaply. There's a muddy Linc below it I can't identify, probably a wheatie by overall aspect. The odds are that the three together are worth something like a buck-25.

Ok thanks but yea the lens is dirty and old ...I do have many other steel cents a few in near uncirculated condition....I'd hate to think the one in this set is a fake the nickle and wheat pennies are both real ..?

On 6/6/2023 at 12:26 PM, PastorKen said:

Ok thanks but yea the lens is dirty and old ...I do have many other steel cents a few in near uncirculated condition....I'd hate to think the one in this set is a fake the nickle and wheat pennies are both real ..?

I also took some closer pics ...the best I can with them in the lens .

20230606_124233.jpg

20230606_124240.jpg

20230606_124247.jpg

20230606_124301.jpg

20230606_124311.jpg

20230606_124318.jpg

On 6/6/2023 at 9:26 AM, PastorKen said:

No one said anything about the coin(s) being fake JKK said it looks like it was plated, which it does look like.   This was a common practice with circulated steel wheats so that they would look shinny and more appealing to non collectors and for souvenir/tourist stuff like what you have.   All of the coins are well circulated coins with very minimal collector value above face value save the silver in the nickel, it would be a monumental waste of money to have these coins graded/slabbed.

image.png.dd8bc6ad460c26d45c2a94120f066892.png

As a side note, I'm not sure if English is your first language but "brake" is defined as:

image.png.173bfc19d0a3295bf948d5336d1dc842.png

The word you should have used is "break".

Edited by Coinbuf

The set contains genuine, very low value coins and was put together for sale by mass marketers as a novelty to people who have little interest in or knowledge of coins. The 1943 steel cent was clearly plated as many were to hide dark gray oxidation of the zinc coating and possibly rust as well. It is only worth a few cents, as is the well-circulated 1945-S "shell case copper" wheat cent. (Original uncirculated 1943 zinc coated steel cents are frosty, not shiny.) The set is more interesting as a World War II themed souvenir than it would be if you were to break it up. 

The 1971-S Eisenhower dollar was originally sold by the mint for $3 in a soft plastic sheet that was housed in a blue envelope. It is silver clad with an overall 40% silver content currently worth about $7.50. If the coin is still in uncirculated condition (shows no observable wear), it might retail for $10-$15 but otherwise is only worth its silver value.

If you want to learn about U.S. coins and how to grade and value them, the print and online resources described in the following topic should get you started:

On 6/6/2023 at 1:03 PM, Coinbuf said:

No one said anything about the coin(s) being fake JKK said it looks like it was plated, which it does look like.   This was a common practice with circulated steel wheats so that they would look shinny and more appealing to non collectors and for souvenir/tourist stuff like what you have.   All of the coins are well circulated coins with very minimal collector value above face value save the silver in the nickel, it would be a monumental waste of money to have these coins graded/slabbed.

image.png.dd8bc6ad460c26d45c2a94120f066892.png

As a side note, I'm not sure if English is your first language but "brake" is defined as:

image.png.173bfc19d0a3295bf948d5336d1dc842.png

The word you should have used is "break".

I apologize between spell check and my sausage fingers not to mention I can't see too well I need glasses but I got to wait till Oct to get them ..sorry 

On 6/6/2023 at 1:08 PM, Sandon said:

The set contains genuine, very low value coins and was put together for sale by mass marketers as a novelty to people who have little interest in or knowledge of coins. The 1943 steel cent was clearly plated as many were to hide dark gray oxidation of the zinc coating and possibly rust as well. It is only worth a few cents, as is the well-circulated 1945-S "shell case copper" wheat cent. (Original uncirculated 1943 zinc coated steel cents are frosty, not shiny.) The set is more interesting as a World War II themed souvenir than it would be if you were to break it up. 

The 1971-S Eisenhower dollar was originally sold by the mint for $3 in a soft plastic sheet that was housed in a blue envelope. It is silver clad with an overall 40% silver content currently worth about $7.50. If the coin is still in uncirculated condition (shows no observable wear), it might retail for $10-$15 but otherwise is only worth its silver value.

If you want to learn about U.S. coins and how to grade and value them, the print and online resources described in the following topic should get you started:

Thank you 

On 6/6/2023 at 1:45 PM, PastorKen said:

Thank you 

In that thread about the eagle I had questions on I told someone I found a original Philadelphia mint bag in an old car ..I'm from Philly and worked in body shops but yes I found the bag and when I looked in it had a ton of coins the top half was a giant rusted glob but the cents below they were decent some had a little rust but I'd say 30% were in very nice condition my dumb @$% gave alot away to family and friends I tried to keep the best of them but I know I may have a couple other plated ones but mostly original ones idk they might be original uncirculated.?

Edited by PastorKen

I would also like to state again I'm not looking for a million dollar coin I'm just asking questions on some recent coins I've found and after a little reading I find there were silver coins quarters..halves. dollars from the early to mid 70's that do contain silver and I know I've got a few but please like I said I can't see the screen perfectly so if I miss something in my posts it's just a typo ya'll remember what they are right?

On 6/6/2023 at 1:42 PM, PastorKen said:

I apologize between spell check and my sausage fingers not to mention I can't see too well I need glasses but I got to wait till Oct to get them ..sorry 

Also I misspoke...I didn't mean fake but not original if it's plated ...sorry JKK 

On 6/6/2023 at 1:08 PM, Sandon said:

Sorry yes the ike dollar yes unfortunately it was spent I bought it from a store for $1 so I made out either way but I have a blue envelope 72 ike  but whenever I try looking up things about the 71 it seems more rare than the others but the reverse side the earth does have that bent effect does that mean anything?

On 6/6/2023 at 2:04 PM, PastorKen said:

but whenever I try looking up things about the 71 it seems more rare than the others but the reverse side the earth does have that bent effect does that mean anything?

I don't know what you've been reading. 1971 Eisenhower dollars of all mints and versions are extremely common, except for a few die varieties (mostly doubled dies and repunched mint marks) that have nothing to do with the shape of the earth. See (click on) Eisenhower Dollars (1971-1978) | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com). Three different reverse styles that have differing features of the earth were used on some 1972 (no mint mark) circulation issue Eisenhower dollars, one of which, the "Type 2 reverse" is considered scarce and worth a premium. 

On 6/6/2023 at 1:49 PM, PastorKen said:

I know I may have a couple other plated ones [1943 steel cents] but mostly original ones idk they might be original uncirculated.?

Below are photos of an original, gem uncirculated 1943 steel cent that PCGS graded MS 66. While it's difficult to appreciate fully the frosty versus shiny difference from the photos, notice the surface texture and crispness of the details of this coin. Additionally, the edge of an original piece is usually dull, as the steel was zinc coated before the planchets (coin blanks) were punched out.

1943centobv..jpg.b92750ed98fabe007e2e19477e606d5c.jpg

1943centrev..jpg.e4c0f95313839611c3dc2ab2669b8e9a.jpg

I strongly recommend that you obtain a current (2024) or recent edition of the "Redbook" mentioned in the "Resources for New Collectors" topic and read it. It will answer many of your questions that require basic knowledge about U.S. coins and assist you in formulating questions you may still have.

On 6/6/2023 at 2:43 PM, Sandon said:

I don't know what you've been reading. 1971 Eisenhower dollars of all mints and versions are extremely common, except for a few die varieties (mostly doubled dies and repunched mint marks) that have nothing to do with the shape of the earth. See (click on) Eisenhower Dollars (1971-1978) | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com). Three different reverse styles that have differing features of the earth were used on some 1972 (no mint mark) circulation issue Eisenhower dollars, one of which, the "Type 2 reverse" is considered scarce and worth a premium. 

Below are photos of an original, gem uncirculated 1943 steel cent that PCGS graded MS 66. While it's difficult to appreciate fully the frosty versus shiny difference from the photos, notice the surface texture and crispness of the details of this coin. Additionally, the edge of an original piece is usually dull, as the steel was zinc coated before the planchets (coin blanks) were punched out.

1943centobv..jpg.b92750ed98fabe007e2e19477e606d5c.jpg

1943centrev..jpg.e4c0f95313839611c3dc2ab2669b8e9a.jpg

I strongly recommend that you obtain a current (2024) or recent edition of the "Redbook" mentioned in the "Resources for New Collectors" topic and read it. It will answer many of your questions that require basic knowledge about U.S. coins and assist you in formulating questions you may still have.

Thank u I'll try to buy the book if I can but until then I can only try to sift through the garbage online to find any real information but thank u for clarifying the steel cents and the differences I appreciate any help or information 

On 6/6/2023 at 7:48 AM, PastorKen said:

I've had this pearl Harbor set for years but now that I'm reading up more on old or rare coins the steel.coin is near mint it looks like it's in BU condition the silver nickle is a 1943 P reverse mint mark and then a 1945 S penny should I break open the set and just encapsulate the 3 also I'm posting a 71 S Ike dollar with the bent planet on the reverse I found in circulation..smh I know it shouldn't be in circulation  what do ya'll think

16860519236167521944476860215915.jpg

16860520581023968160671958956117.jpg

16860520776613411511422203860051.jpg

"Should I brake this lens open ?"

That depends on how fast it's going?

;)

On 6/6/2023 at 6:28 PM, RWB said:

"Should I brake this lens open ?"

That depends on how fast it's going?

;)

Heisenberg's Coin Holder Uncertainty Principle? The more we know about how fast it's going, the harder it is to mail down where it is.

On 6/7/2023 at 6:02 AM, PastorKen said:

I don't know what you mean by that ?

"brake" vs. "break" He's an author. He takes language seriously. As do I. It tends to make us uniquely unpopular on the Internet, where language goes to die a horrible gnarly death, typically.

Edited by VKurtB

On 6/6/2023 at 12:03 PM, Coinbuf said:

so that they would look shinny and more appealing

Yellow flag. 5-yard penalty for nagging about "brake" but then coming up with "shinny".

On 6/7/2023 at 8:57 AM, VKurtB said:

"brake" vs. "break" He's an author. He takes language seriously. As do I. It tends to make us uniquely unpopular on the Internet, where language goes to die a horrible gnarly death, typically.

Again I'm sorry for the "TYPO" it's spell check and me not looking at it before submitting the post ...sorry again I need glasses but need to wait a few months plus these dam keyboards are getting smaller...but no excusing it I made a mistake 

On 6/7/2023 at 8:19 AM, PastorKen said:

me not looking at it before submitting the post .

Yes, we all do it.

On 6/7/2023 at 8:19 AM, PastorKen said:

these dam keyboards are getting smaller.

Tell me about it. I opted for a MacBook Air M2 13 inch. In a former life I sold IBM PS/2 and big honkin' Macintosh II big box machines. Nobody thought about small keyboards.

Edited by VKurtB

On 6/7/2023 at 9:21 AM, VKurtB said:

Tell me about it. I opted for a MacBook Air M2 13 inch.

About what my phone...lol it's a S20fe with a 6.8in screen I think 🤔...I don't use tablets I just don't like'em...lol 

On 6/7/2023 at 9:23 AM, PastorKen said:

About what my phone...lol it's a S20fe with a 6.8in screen I think 🤔...I don't use tablets I just don't like'em...lol 

I know that was a rude response I'm sorry...I know you were agreeing with me but dam I'd rather use the keyboard on a tablet.... I'd have less "typos"...lol

Got it all now. All Apple. Macintosh laptop, iPad mini, iPhone (smallest one) and Apple Watch. I draw the line there. I will NOT be getting any Virtual Reality ANYTHING. Maybe a home-based, where my music and videos live, desktop Mac, ... maybe. Still deciding.

Edited by VKurtB

On 6/7/2023 at 9:26 AM, VKurtB said:

Got it all now. All Apple. Macintosh laptop, iPad mini, iPhone (smallest one) and Apple Watch. I draw the line there. I will NOT be getting any Virtual Reality ANYTHING.

Not a fan of apple products...I guess they are better quality but you got to nearly pay for everything in their app store atleast the android app store is alot bigger and mostly free..I've always been a "never apple " person ...lol 

On 6/7/2023 at 8:29 AM, PastorKen said:

Not a fan of apple products...I guess they are better quality but you got to nearly pay for everything in their app store atleast the android app store is alot bigger and mostly free..I've always been a "never apple " person ...lol 

I'm still trying to rescue my Ubuntu (Linux) server box, and if that resurrection is successful, the desktop Mac will be superfluous.

On 6/7/2023 at 9:26 AM, VKurtB said:

Got it all now. All Apple. Macintosh laptop, iPad mini, iPhone (smallest one) and Apple Watch. I draw the line there. I will NOT be getting any Virtual Reality ANYTHING. Maybe a home-based, where my music and videos live, desktop Mac, ... maybe. Still deciding.

The new apple dual function goggles that just came out with the VR and the Augmented reality looks interesting...that could go pretty far and be really cool .