• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More for the newbies - Temu and counterfeits

10 posts in this topic

So I could have posted this in the counterfeit coins forum, but I decided it would be good to expose the newbies to it as, well, frankly, it made me gag and puke. And so newbies can be aware there is A LOT of for sale on the internet. So last night, as I was getting ready to shut my computer down, I noticed this in my feed. Understandable. With all the internet trackers and I look at coins all the time, I get that. But I did a double take in about half a second when I saw the coin in the ad. So I took a pic and blew it up. Gag. Puke. Couldn't be more fake, or just a "hobo" version but not with the staff Liberty is holding. Hobo coins usually just ground off metal to make the design. They didn't add a pole that wasn't there.

PXL_20230604_011434052.jpg

PXL_20230604_011527078.jpg

So, I had to go to this Temu site to check it out. More gag and barf bag this time. I am surprised some of this junk hasn't come across this forum yet. If you are a newbie, be aware this garbage is out there. The entire site was full of this nonsense. Newbies, be aware before you spend money on a coin!

PXL_20230604_011825708.jpg

PXL_20230604_012111279.jpg

PXL_20230604_012251634.jpg

Interesting coincidence. I was shopping online for tools for the first time in several months, and discovered Temu tonight. I was not aware that the site existed, but I did some digging and discovered that ever since their ad aired during the Superbowl, (which I did not watch), their business has taken off. Like Powermad, I saw the multitude of counterfeits listed, many of which were being passed off as genuine and made no reference to "copy" or "replica." I will add this site to my thread on known counterfeit sellers.

In all fairness to TEMU, I have purchased a number of items from them and they do sell many quality products. The coins, although bad copies, do state so in their detailed description and how could anyone ever think for a moment that they might be real at $1.89!IMG_6888.thumb.jpeg.efe224fb16412a3df488eb8b5f9f504b.jpeg

The problem is that purchasers could try to pass them off as genuine coins or people who receive them as gifts or by inheritance could believe them to be genuine coins. We frequently see people post them here asking what they are worth.  Not only are they not marked "COPY" in compliance with the Hobby Protection Act, those that are imitations of legal tender U.S. coins would presumably be in violation of U.S. counterfeiting laws even if they were so marked.

On 6/4/2023 at 11:16 PM, powermad5000 said:

So, I had to go to this Temu site to check it out. More gag and barf bag this time. I am surprised some of this junk hasn't come across this forum yet. If you are a newbie, be aware this garbage is out there. The entire site was full of this nonsense. Newbies, be aware before you spend money on a coin!

PXL_20230604_011825708.jpg

PXL_20230604_012111279.jpg

PXL_20230604_012251634.jpg

I've seen many of these too as I like to occasionally buy a everyday item at a cheap price...and there are some decent things there but yes the coins always make me laugh they have eagles in us mint black cases and just looking at them you know they're fake I'm no expert but there are a few tips I've picked up to tell if something is real or fake but in the first picture of the Morgan not a single bag mark on the face ..lol that's nearly impossible..maybe aside from someone stealing one off the line back in the day and saving it ...thats a joke btw .. but #powermad5000 you gotta search their coins you'll get a good laugh...now etsy is another app that can be iffy but they do have real sellers that sell real coins but I'd advise asking alot of questions getting as many pics of the coin you want to buy unless ofcoarse it's in a ngc/pcgs holder ...you.can look those up .

Edited by PastorKen

On 6/5/2023 at 7:59 AM, Mr.Bill347 said:

In all fairness to TEMU, I have purchased a number of items from them and they do sell many quality products. The coins, although bad copies, do state so in their detailed description and how could anyone ever think for a moment that they might be real at $1.89!IMG_6888.thumb.jpeg.efe224fb16412a3df488eb8b5f9f504b.jpeg

Just looking the 2 top feathers should be between the I and B ..lol but I agree 

It's just another AliBaba Chinese fakes site, and the prices should be a hint.  But yea, that kind of garbage sometimes ends up on eBay being sold by people as the real deal.

On 6/5/2023 at 10:55 PM, powermad5000 said:

The problem with the site is that not all the coins for sale on it contain the word COPY, just like the three I put in my post.

Even the ones that show the word "COPY" on the listing usually just have that word photoshopped on the picture, and the coin delivered doesn't have that on the coin.  If you notice that word almost always looks the same.  AliBaba does the same thing.