• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trying to understand what I'm doing

7 posts in this topic

New to all this but everytime I go to one of my local coin dealers and keep getting the run around, on how to see what are worth. I know they must want it the keep trying to by them from me for cheap.what should I do

16840099451924088346584768769812.jpg

16840099580506680486363976051924.jpg

1684009972225750039802742778508.jpg

Welcome to the forum, I do not collect or know the Ike dollars so I will let someone else comment on that.   In the future for us to really help you we need to see both sides of each coin not just the obverse.  However, from your photos the Kennedy half looks to be in AU condition and the walker half's much lower in grade VG or maybe fine at best.   As such all three have minimal to no collector value, their value is in the silver each coin is made of.   Silver spot prices change constantly, but right now each of those three is worth $8.75 for the silver, a dealer would pay less than that as he has to sell them on to his wholesaler.   If you were offered around $8 each that would seem close in my opinion.

Well, if you really want help, we need less fecal pictures, and to see both sides. I still can't figure out why people don't think we need to see both sides of a coin clearly in order to help them to our best abilities. For all we know the reverses might have been ground flat, or have some sort of vandalism, etc.

In the case of the Ike, the dealer would probably not offer much above melt. The three halves are probably not much above silver melt value. They look cool, but aren't rare. The 64 is one of the commonest silver coins we've ever minted and it has to get into stratospheric grades to get much of a premium. Walkers like that--especially the 41, which shows signs of a truly nasty cleaning job (hope that wasn't your doing; if it was, do yourself and the world a favor and make it your last cleaning ever)--sell in the junk bin for a small premium above melt, so they're probably offering you a little below melt. Melt, by the way, doesn't mean they are actually going to melt it; it just refers to the metal value inherent in the piece.

So if I were to take a wild stab, which is all it can be when we have very little to work with, I'd say they want to give you $8 for the Ike (part silver), and $8.50 each for the other three. Total offer $33.50. Maybe. If it were me I'd offer a little less. If he's offering you much more than that, I'd take it before he changes his mind, or the price of silver drops.

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Although there are dealers who may make unfairly low offers for coins, this probably hasn't happened to you, as the coins you are showing aren't very valuable. 

Your 1971-S 40% silver clad proof Eisenhower dollar in its original packaging, of which the mint sold over 4.2 million to collectors, sells for about $10-$12 and contains about $7.61 in silver at the current silver price, which changes daily. A fair current offer from a dealer would be about $7. 

Your 1964 (or 1964-D) Kennedy half dollar in About Uncirculated condition or so and your two Fine or so condition common date Walking Liberty half dollars would only be worth no more than their current silver value of $8.70 or so each to a dealer, probably no more than $8 or so to most dealers. (The 1941 dated piece might be worth a premium of less than a dollar if it is a 1941-S, but I can't tell without seeing the reverse, where any mint mark would be located on any of these half dollars.)  In the future, please post clear, cropped photos of each side of any coins about which you have questions. 

You can check the daily silver value of these coins at U.S. Silver Coin Melt Values | Silver Dollar Melt Value | NGC (ngccoin.com). If you want to learn about U.S. coins and how to grade and otherwise value them, the following topic describes some essential print and online resources that would help you:

Welcome to the forum. Although it may not seem possible that a silver coin that is 50 or 80 years old is only worth the price of the precious metal that it contains, it is true. Supply and demand, along with condition, rarity, and collector interest are major factors in determining value. Although all of these coins are nice to have in your collection, none are rare or in great demand. If the offers you have gotten are in line with the amounts given by the previous posters, you have not been given the run-around, in my opinion. If they are considerably less, and you still want to sell your coins, you might consider listing them on the Marketplace forum on this site. I'm sure several people would be interested in them at $7-8 a piece.

We need clear, cropped photos of both the obverse and reverse in order to give you the best possible advice.

That said, the only coin you have there that could be worth anything is the Proof Ike. The 1964 Kennedy half is too common, and the Walkers would need to be in fantastic shape just to get a moderate price of $30-$40. The Kennedy looks lightly circulated (AU) and the Walkers are in very bad shape (VG and details grades for both).

The ONLY way the Proof Ike is worth anything is if you took a big chance on submitting it in the original holder it is currently in and having it graded and returning back as a PF 69 UC (NGC has graded zero of these in this year at PF 70 UC). Then it would be worth a price guide value of $80 with a realistic value of around $60-$65. The problem is it will cost you more to submit it hoping to get that grade than you would get back for selling it graded.

I am guessing the dealer is willing to shoot you a price for all of the coins just to get the Ike and may be able to make it a part of a submission on his end so he can have it graded (cheaper than you could) and put it in his case with a good markup when it returns.